More Texas Kings

jordan.widz

I am yet to catch a king, so I am keen to get to Texas :biggrin2:

How long does it take to get out to the reef? I have a 4.2m runabout with a 25hp, so it would have to be a calm day.

What ramp do you normal lauch from?

Hi mate it takes me around 45min to get there in my 6m savage and I launch from terrigal haven. If you do head out that far id suggest you try to go with someone expierenced in a larger boat first, the seas out there can be terrible some days and come from nowhere. im not saying you couldn't get there in your boat but it would have to be a very, very calm day. i've been going offshore for 8 years now in my current boat and only just started venturing as far out as texas just last year. maybe try some of the closer grounds first like terrigal east, terrigal wide, the pips etc to build up expierence in the area.

Cheers, Prawn Star

Thanks for the advice. The size of those Kings just got me a bit excited :)

I don't know the reefs that you mentioned. How many mins would it take to get to closest one?

We mainly fish in Cowan creek and the Hawkesbury, are there any reefs closer/safer they we might be best to start with?

Cheers,

cc

No worries mate, If your after big kings you don't have to travell very far or fish deep water and big seas. Pittwater is just around the corner from cowan and is home to some big hoodlums. In Pittwater If you can catch squid you will catch kings, jsut find somewhere that looks 'fishy', anchor up, burley hard and put down some live squids and this should give you a chance at some kings and best of all you will be in calm water.

The next closest reefs for you will the area near Box Head (east reef, west reef, kilcare wide) and there are no 'safe' reefs when the weather is bad, so watch the charts and pick the best day to out.

Anyway good luck in your pursuit for the kings, there will be much more info on kings available here on FR, just use the search function and I'm sure you'll find what you need to know.

Cheers, Prawn Star

I am yet to catch a king, so I am keen to get to Texas :biggrin2:

How long does it take to get out to the reef? I have a 4.2m runabout with a 25hp, so it would have to be a calm day.

What ramp do you normal lauch from?

Hi Cowan

4.2M with 25hp is small for that long distance. untill you are very Exp. and brave. more over do need to have all offshore safty gear like eparb , vsheet, ect...

Take care do not risk it.

BigKing

Edited by BigKing