Downrigger Advice

fishmaniac

Hey all,

I am going to buy a new downrigger in the coming weeks. I currently have a home made downrigger given to me by a fellow raider which still works great but I am going to buy another so I can run two.

I am looking at manual downriggers and I am tossing up between the Scotty and Cannon models. The upright spool of the cannon appeals to me but there are not too many around to purchase or in use for a good review.

Some advice and personal experiences on these two models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hey all,

I am going to buy a new downrigger in the coming weeks. I currently have a home made downrigger given to me by a fellow raider which still works great but I am going to buy another so I can run two.

I am looking at manual downriggers and I am tossing up between the Scotty and Cannon models. The upright spool of the cannon appeals to me but there are not too many around to purchase or in use for a good review.

Some advice and personal experiences on these two models would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I am crrently using the Penn 620 (I think) downrigger. It has an upright spool has a choice of two boom lengths and also a rotating base so it can be fished out the back or to the side of the boat depending on conditions. Hope this helps.

Squidy

i have run 2 scotty 1050's for a few years now and never had a issue with either of them

the only thing i have done to them is change from wire to braid a few months ago

both brands make great downriggers so either one is a good choice

Edited by Framedtrash

i have run 2 scotty 1050's for a few years now and never had a issue with either of them

the only thing i have done to them is change from wire to braid a few months ago

both brands make great downriggers so either one is a good choice

PM me for info on how to get them both dirt cheap

Can I ask why people are replacing the wire with braid?

Wouldnt you be at risk of losing your bomb to the dreaded LJ if using braid over wire?

I am just setting up my DR now but havent yet tested it - Still plan to use the wire, unless there's a good reason to switch over to braid.

if you have just bought a downrigger there is no need to switch to braid

most ppl switch once the wire needs to be replaced

braid is thiner so there is less resistance in the water so u get less blow back to the bomb

braid doesn't humm like wire can and braid doesn't produce any electrical discharge into the water like wire does

and if you happen to snag up and loose your bomb its just a matter of tying a new bomb on you don't need to crimp on a new one on

most ppl use 200lb braid and im yet to hear of ppl loosing there bombs to jackets

I have 2 Scotty 1050s and they are still going strong after 2 years of heavy use.

I have also switched over to 200lb braid on both. The wire is good when its new, but a pain in the arse once it starts to rust and get frayed etc.

Best bet is to do a search and buy one from OS. The first one i bought, i got it landed from the US, including an 8lb bomb for under $200. They are stupid money if you buy one in Oz.

Let me know if you want a few pointers where to buy one from...

Thanks to all those who replied on this post and had sent a PM. Framedtrash, your info on the US was great!

I have decided to go the Scotty 1050s imported form the US.

Thanks Jim for pointing out you have the 1050s as I know they would be very suitable for what I want to use them!

Andrew