Sienna Dropped In Sand

Hey Guys,

I've got a little Sienna 2500 that I like to pull out when my girlfriend comes fishing with me, it is practically brand new so I was a little annoyed that she accidently dropped it on the beach and turned it into a Shimano schnitzel.

I did my best to rinse the sand out but perhaps inevitably it feels grittier than it did before. I don't feel confident enough to pull it down myself but I'm trying to work out if it'd be worth having a professional strip it down for a service, reel only cost around $30 but the replacement value is probably more that (got it on special).

So what do we think? Is it worth servicing or should I just put up with the gritty retrieve (I rarely use the reel myself anyway) - seemed to work fine catching a couple of small flathead off the beach after I rinsed it. If there is anyone around the Illawarra that is willing to show me the ropes of reel maintenance I would be happy to pay for your time, it would be money well spent.

Cheers,

Adam.

For a $30 reel, I wouldn't spend money on getting it serviced... it would likely cost you more than that. Using the reel in that condition will only make the problem worse.

I'd recommend having a go at servicing it yourself. If worst comes to worst all you've lost is $30 but servicing a reel like that is easy. Just get your schematics out (or download them if you don't have them), then follow one of the Fishraider tutorials to give you a rough guide to how to approach it.

Strip it down and clean all the parts carefully in white spirits (or Metho at a pinch). Relube everything (gears with reel grease, bearings with oil) and put it back together. As long as you line up all the parts carefully as you disassemble the reel so you know the exact order it goes back together, and as long as you work carefully so you don't lose any parts, you'll be fine.

There's a Stradic post in the tutorials section that won't be the same but will give you an idea of how to approach it.

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=46630

Let us know how you go.

Cheers, Slinky

this is why i dislike beach fishing :thumbdown:

Thanks Slinky, I think you're right I'll just take my best crack at it and if things go pear shaped its an opportunity to buy more tackle :074:

I love fishing off the beach, if it costs me a reel every now and again that's a price I can live with - at least until I teach myself how to use an alvey.

Cheers,

Adam.