2005 Johnson 150Hp Direct Injection?

ajb

Hi all,

im looking at purchasing a boat that has a 2005 Johnson 150 hp outboard, the owner says its got direct injenction but my searches have failed to verify this. Was wandering if anyone knew or could shed some light in general on these motors such as reliabilty, fuel consumption etc. Any help will be appreciated as im set on this boat.

cheers

Hi all,

im looking at purchasing a boat that has a 2005 Johnson 150 hp outboard, the owner says its got direct injenction but my searches have failed to verify this. Was wandering if anyone knew or could shed some light in general on these motors such as reliabilty, fuel consumption etc. Any help will be appreciated as im set on this boat.

cheers

Hi, is that direct oil or fuel?, it may be one of the "Ficht" direct injected and not the Etech range, you may need to ask the owner, the cover should indicate one or the other.

:biggrin2:

Hi mate, it's not an e tec, just your standard looking Johnson. Im thinking he means it's oil injected? Is there a big difference between these and your older types of two strokes in regards to how much smoke they blow, noise, fuel use etc???

i had a 2004 model bought brand new they are carbie oil injected very reliable never had a problem with it but i allways used the johnson/evinrude oil 50 blend then the xd 100 synthetic two stoke oil when it arrived they dont smoke or smell on that oil i used garage oil once when i couldnt get to the boat shop to buy some oil bad mistake smoke and fumes were terrible i had it on a 6.4 mtr boat went very well 65 plus klms per hour but fuel economy not to good with WOT got pretty good economy running about 4000rpm

i had a 2004 model bought brand new they are carbie oil injected very reliable never had a problem with it but i allways used the johnson/evinrude oil 50 blend then the xd 100 synthetic two stoke oil when it arrived they dont smoke or smell on that oil i used garage oil once when i couldnt get to the boat shop to buy some oil bad mistake smoke and fumes were terrible i had it on a 6.4 mtr boat went very well 65 plus klms per hour but fuel economy not to good with WOT got pretty good economy running about 4000rpm

thanks mate that's the sort of info I was after, I really wanted a four stroke or DI two stroke but Im in love with this particular boat. It's only a 5.5m so it should fly with a 150!

Hi, as the guys have said that is an oil injected carby engine and for its technology they are the top of the pile. Not as clean, quiet or fuel efficient as direct fuel injected engines or 4-Strokes, but performance of these engines are very impressive and if set-up right and run right they are not that bad on fuel or noise. If you like the hull and can not find the same boat with a clean tec engine than nothing wrong with a 150HP Johno if she passes the mechanical checks that any second hand outboard should have done on her. Make sure you see abut 5500 at WOT, you use good size battery with no wing nuts, you have good 3/8 fuel line with good filter and I would use nothing but XD-100 in her. If not done recently a water pump service should be done on her and a few other tricks that we do to make sure she will last 30 odd years. Not that expensive to service in the scheme of things.

Cheers,

Huey.