Important Reading

Guest bluecod

Guest bluecod

Just checked on the maritime website - if anyone is going to the social day in their boat via Broken Bay [either from Pittwater or Hawkesbury] the entrance to Brisbane Waters is regarded as a bar and unless you are seeking a $200 fine your lifejackets must be worn when making the crossings.

Note that the swell forecast is also for South to South-east swell of 1.5 to 2 metres. This is the worst possible swell direction for this bar and hopefully it won't be breaking. If it is and you're not sure or never crossed a bar before, don't chance it - there's always BBQ facilities in The Basin.

Guest Jocool

its where the chanel markers are Pete. From Little Box around to Wagstaff point.

If it looks hairy, just go a little east, and follow the markers in. But like Bluey said...where your PFD!

EDIT....This is a rough indication of where the sand bar is. Be careful in the shaded red area. If you hug the shore, you should be sweet.

Even getting there from Pittwater could be a bit hairy if there is a swell, and you are in a little boat. Just be carefull and use your commonsense! :thumbup:

Guest bluecod

Good question Pete, the answer to which probably depends on the size of the swell.

At times I've seen it break about 600 metres out from Wagstaff Point whilst last weekend it wasn't breaking at all.

The Admiralty chart I have shows a caution area commencing about half way between Wagstaff Point [Halftide Rocks] and Box Head.

Thanks Joe, Good Edit.

Any bar is best crossed on a rising tide - tomorrow's afternoon high is about 2.40 pm at Ft Denison - Ettalong Beach is about 40 minutes later or at about 3.20 pm across the bar - I wouldn't be leaving my run home any later than 3.15 if there is any sort of swell running.

Edited by bluecod