Tassie Devil Lure

ericxue

Hello all raiders, i've been thompson creek dam few weeks ago, and didnt catch any, so anyone can give me any ideas how to use the tassie devil and in winter which color is the best?

what the action is right when tassie in the water?

thank you! :wacko:

Hello all raiders, i've been thompson creek dam few weeks ago, and didnt catch any, so anyone can give me any ideas how to use the tassie devil and in winter which color is the best?

what the action is right when tassie in the water?

thank you! wacko.gif

Hi Eric,

Thommos is one of the hardest dams to fish and there are days when nothing you have in your tackle box will induce a strike.

Once the little buggers get the urge to spawn it can be nigh impossible to get a hit.

On your question on tassies,the pink colour with the black stripes has worked on many occassions on Thommos trout and the trick is to cast as far as you can and let them hit the bottom and commence a slow retreive all the way back to your feet with just enough speed to feel the side to side action of the tassie devil

Celtas are also good on Thommos trout in the largest size in red/gold combo.

Cheers Stewy

Hi Eric,

Thommos is one of the hardest dams to fish and there are days when nothing you have in your tackle box will induce a strike.

Once the little buggers get the urge to spawn it can be nigh impossible to get a hit.

On your question on tassies,the pink colour with the black stripes has worked on many occassions on Thommos trout and the trick is to cast as far as you can and let them hit the bottom and commence a slow retreive all the way back to your feet with just enough speed to feel the side to side action of the tassie devil

Celtas are also good on Thommos trout in the largest size in red/gold combo.

Cheers Stewy

thank you for you reply, any other dam good?

Hi Eric, also try the smaller tassie devil in the 7g size, the trout at thommos seem to hit the smaller profile lure with gusto.Any of the colours with yellow wings will produce at this time of year.Rig your lure by threading your leader through the lure, through a small red or pink bead and tie your line to a small split ring with a single lure hook attached. That way the fish can not use the weight of the lure as leverage to dislodge the hook.As Stuie said cast out as far as you can and let the lure sink to the bottom.When retrieving you want the lure to gently sway from side to side on its back. Lake Lyall is another dam to try. cheers jamie

G'day erikxue,

I've never fished Thommo's... Swordy knows it really well. But I used to chase trout in Tassie during the lead up to the spawn run (winter is closed season in Tassie) and the gun lure and fly colours where 'trout' patterns to induce an aggression/territorial strike rather than a feeding strike.

Tassie Devils have a 'Rainbow Trout' colour but any with a hit of pink worked well. Brown Trout & Rainbow Trout CD3 or CD5 pattern Rapalas were killers. And I had a home-designed fly pattern based on a 'Sunset Fly' in rainbow trout colours that worked well too.

No idea if the same would be true at Thommos but could be worth a go.

Cheers, Slinky

My advise, get rid of the Tassie Devil :1yikes::1prop: In all my years of hitting TCD I never used a Tassie, all my fish are either on Vibrax, various floating cranks or Fly. Still, they are one of the most popular Trout lures. Doesn't matter if it's TCD, Snowies, Tassie or internationally. I am off to Ireland to fish the Lakes district soon and bought a book about the various Loughs and would you believe it but the 'ol Tassie gets mentioned as one of the lures to use.

The trick with a Tassie is to get the correct retrieve speed, when you flat wind you will feel the lure rythmically pulse. This is the correct speed, slow and it won't sway faster and it spins. There are a few other neat tricks that can turn a looker into a taker. First is to add one or more red beads between the tassie and the hook, this seems to work quite well. Another is to use a single hook instead of a treble (like a Siwash), holds better with the weight of a Tassie. Another can be to reverse the Tassie so it is running backwards, this results in a different sway action and works very very well at Jindabyne. I won't go into Colours too much as I think getting the action and being at the correct times is more important. To be honest there are better Trout lures despite the fame of the Tassie, Stui mentioned the Celta styles and I think they are better and of course the myriad of floating minnows (Rapalas, Ecogears etc etc etc).

Other Dams, well Lyell is near by but TCD is a bit more consistent I find (still a tough place but!). Lyell can fish extremelly well but a lot depends on water conditions here that at TCD. Wallace is a small one near by too that has some BIG Rainbows in it but can also be a bit erratic. A bit further afield is Oberon which used to be one of the best but is suffering from low water levels and Pejar which is slowly returning to some former glory (got a top Rainbow here the other day).

Now, who is with me on forming a "No More Tassie" Club..... :1prop:

Windy

Oooh looks like a trip to Pejar sometime soon Probably next month when it starts to warm a bit

Im not a fan of tassie devils either SX40s SX43s in sydney guppy or if you can find them the smallest size ABU toby or replica of

thank all of your advises, and i will try this saturday, report later.

i've got 4 different color and weight tassie, rapala brown and rainbow cd3 and cd5, and some cranks, hope can catch some.

all the best to all raiders. :thumbup:

Now, who is with me on forming a "No More Tassie" Club..... 1prop.gif

Windy

Well it won't be swordie, Matt thumbdown.gif

Check out the fish taken at TCD by swordie in this post and look at the lure hanging out of their mouthsyahoo.gif and note your comment then Matt........

BRING ON THE TASSIE DEVILS

Show me your pics Andrew and Matt 074.gif

mrsswordie

PS Don't diss the devils

Hi all, nothing wrong with tassie devils at all, an excellent all round trout lure. I know Matt has suggested retrieving the lure quite quickly but in my experience a painfully slow retrieve that has the tassie laying on its back and very gently swaying from side to side is a much better retrieve at this time of year when the trout are a bit lethargic. Give it a try you may be pleasantly surprised. cheers troutboy

The huge advantage with the Tassie Devils is the distance you can cast them on light balanced tackle and most of the time at Thommos you need very long casts to work an entire area.

There are no other lures that can attain the distance in windy conditions like Tassies IMHO.

I have a vast array of lures for trout but when the going gets tough I always go back to long casts with my favourite pink Tassie yahoo.gif

Cheers Swordfisherman

Matt im not a big Tassie fan so im with you mate , but they do cast well when your off the shore and it can be helpful when it's tough fishing at Thomos.

BUT

Why not try using a Blade , everything else eats them and the can be retreived in a variety of ways and you can outcast a tassie with them I reckon .

Down the end of Thommo's I was there with Jewhunter one day and tied on a Bomber that I had painted on some white dots with liquid paper then coloured the centers red . The laughing [at me and my lure ] only stopped when I hooked a BEAST which I unfortunately pulled the hook on at my feet .Not bad for a Barra lure with 3 trebles .

I am just joshing about the 'ol Tassie, they have their place like every lure (at the back of the tackle box.... wooooops :tease: ). I am up in the Snowies right now and Dad myself were chatting while on Jindabyne today about Tassies, you know I have never actually bought one but we pulled out the various lure trays and there was 24 of them on the boat every one of them found out at the lakes over the years!

Tough up here at the moment, we got a couple of decent Rainbows and 1 Brown, will pop a full report up when we are done. Going to hit Eucumbene tomorrow.

Oh, and Mrsswordie, might want do a search on the trout I have posted over the years including my current PB. None on a Tassie..... :1prop::074:

Cheers

Windy

I probably Fly fish now more than spin Nanook, but I don't believe in one method of catch'en em :thumbup:

Dad and I hit Creel Bay yesterday to see if there was still spawners congregating and as a result of this little thread I tied on a Pink Tassie and a single siwash hook. I think we went all of 5m before I had a 45cm Atlantic Salmon in the boat! I dunno, arguing with myself a bit :biggrin2:

Cheers

Windy

I probably Fly fish now more than spin Nanook, but I don't believe in one method of catch'en em thumbup.gif

Dad and I hit Creel Bay yesterday to see if there was still spawners congregating and as a result of this little thread I tied on a Pink Tassie and a single siwash hook. I think we went all of 5m before I had a 45cm Atlantic Salmon in the boat! I dunno, arguing with myself a bit biggrin2.gif

Cheers

Windy

Funny-Post.gif you da man ,Matt thumbup.gif

Cheers Stewy.

P.S nothing wrong with having a little arguement with your alter ego 1yikes.gif

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned using soft plastics in TCD. My first trip there about 4 years ago (mid winter) resulted in four very healthy rainbows in the 1.5 - 2 kg range all taken on squidgy fish in black gold colour with the tails dyed pink. We used 1/4 oz jig heads if I recall correctly. A return trip the next year saw a brown of close to 2 kg landed on the type of same lure and jighead. Had two more solid hits that failed to hookup - one at me feet as I was about to lift the lure out for the next cast. I have some photos somewhere if anyone wants to see the quality of the fish that can be caught there. Fish along the muddy shores and let the jig sink to the bottom before commencing a slow rolling retrieve interspersed with some smallish lifts of the rod tip. If there is any stirred up muddy water close to the bank give it and the surrounds a good working over.

TCD can be cold and uncomfortable but it holds some great fish. What is the water level at the moment?

Kel

Fishing Report:

Because didnt catch anything, just post a report here.

Used tassie in the morning, nearly got a nice brown, followed the lure to the bank, and saw some real big rainbows.

Unfortunately lost my wallet :1yikes: on Saturday, so went to the dam again early morning today (nearly hit a Kangaroo), but happy endding, one nice guy got my wallet, and called me :1prop: ...

No fish sad Saturday and happy Sunday evening.

Good luck to all good fishraiders :biggrin2:

Edited by ericxue