Snapper Snatchers

luvbigfish

G'day Luvbigfish,

They work really well but not more than a paternoster rigged up with plain circle hooks that I've noticed. After originally buying a few in different sizes, I haven't bothered replacing them as they've been lost but I've become a total circle-hook believer since then and very rarely use anything else now (although I probably only use bait for about 5% of my fishing these days).

Cheers, Slinky

The main advantage over a "simple" dropper or paternosta rig is when using "soft" baits or when the pickers are around. You still got a chance of a hook up even if you get baited by the brown brigade.

cheers

I sometimes use just a small 2-3 inch skirt over the top of my hooks on the rig. will rig up a double paternoster, and then just slide them over the whole hook, so they are on the line. bait up, and pull it down so the tentacles are around the bait.. works pretty good for me, though havent used it this year, find it hard finding them small skirts.. though there are only like 20c each...

I bought some back from NZ years ago when they first came out then took em down to south oz to sea if they worked. Went on a charter out of Cape Jarvis, i caught a 17lb and a 16lb red and dropped 2 more. I was the only person to catch legal snapper on the charter. Also caught nannys and blue devils nearly every drop. Worked a treat on trout up of cairns and one day in NZ we couldnt make it out to white island so we fished for king terrakai instead. A kiwi guy had a terrakai terror and caught nearly every fish of the trip.

I think they work.

I sometimes use just a small 2-3 inch skirt over the top of my hooks on the rig. will rig up a double paternoster, and then just slide them over the whole hook, so they are on the line. bait up, and pull it down so the tentacles are around the bait.. works pretty good for me, though havent used it this year, find it hard finding them small skirts.. though there are only like 20c each...

We got heaps at global tackle LOL! what colour you want.

I made a heap of them. Bought some glittery stuff and tied it to some Black Magic KL hooks and also some plain suicides. No way I'd pay $10.00 for one if the jackets are about in any numbers.

I didn't notice any difference in productivity. I fished them one side and the FIL fished plain pilly baits on the other side with no noticable difference.

I tried a Snapper Snatcher for the first time last sunday in the surf. Baited the hooks with a small piece of pilchard and got two bites on big salmon, both hooked themselves in the mouth with the rod resting in a sand spike - landed both. Others fishing with me did not get a bite at all. So, on the first try, I would say they look promising.