Help Me Help My Kids

boagy

Hi guys and girls a wonderful web site to be a new member of and it looks like there is plenty of experience here.

I live in Holsworthy and my 2 girls aged 8 and 12 just love fishing so we bought some gear for them.

Does any body out there know where would be a few good spots near here where they could get some action and get them off on a winning start.

Any bait tips would be greatly sappreciated as well.

Hoping someone out there can part with some wisdom.

Many thanks

Robbie

Hi rob

Your closest waterway would be the georges if im correct Good place to start may be the north side off captain cooks bridge plenty of yellowtail herring and tailor to keep yourself and the girls occupied and some good bream and flathead and bream a couple off metres out

For yellowtail small brem herring occassional garfish and slimmey mackerel

A small size 8 hook light 6lb trace and a tiny size 0 clamp on sinker bait would be mince meat and prawns Burley is not nessisarry.

Cast some fish fillets (yellow tail you catch) or half pillie on a size 1/0 hook snelled 2 hook rig for flathead and bream

when stand on the wharf cast diagonally towards the bridge on your left for flathead and on the right for bream.

PS very packed at times especially in the summer.

If your willing to drive a bit more then the hacking is a beautiful clean waterway.

Check out the system good place to start is gunnmatta baths lots off room to fish

Good luck

Hi rob

Your closest waterway would be the georges if im correct Good place to start may be the north side off captain cooks bridge plenty of yellowtail herring and tailor to keep yourself and the girls occupied and some good bream and flathead and bream a couple off metres out

For yellowtail small brem herring occassional garfish and slimmey mackerel

A small size 8 hook light 6lb trace and a tiny size 0 clamp on sinker bait would be mince meat and prawns Burley is not nessisarry.

Cast some fish fillets (yellow tail you catch) or half pillie on a size 1/0 hook snelled 2 hook rig for flathead and bream

when stand on the wharf cast diagonally towards the bridge on your left for flathead and on the right for bream.

PS very packed at times especially in the summer.

If your willing to drive a bit more then the hacking is a beautiful clean waterway.

Check out the system good place to start is gunnmatta baths lots off room to fish

Good luck

Thanks heaps for the tip will try it out and post back

• 2 months later...

Nippers are great bait, and fun to get with kids.

If you've got access to a boat, the south side of Hacking has great sandflats. You'll need a nipper pump($30), a fine net ($5-$10) and a bucket or empty 2litre milk container with half the top cut off (I put my belt through the handle, and have the milk container at my hip to put the nippers from the net into). Position the pump over the round nipper holes, and suck up the sand from the same spot 2 or 3 times, and shoot it out into the fine net. You'll see the nippers in the net. Beware the nippers' claws - they do nip - it might be an idea to rip off the claw before you put them into the bucket/milk container. Also, "jennies" in roe (bright orange eggs on the underside) should go back to keep the supply going for the next season.

Feed the nippers onto a long-shank size 4 to size 6 hook. It helps if you insert the hook just in front of the tail of the nipper, under a little hoop there, and feed the nipper around the hook and bring the tip of the hook out near the head of the nipper. Sometimes a half-hitch around the tail is needed to keep the nipper well presented on the hook.

Fish these unweighted or with a light sinker on light line, and a slow retrieve or a drift. You'll pick up bream, and get whiting and flathead if you get the nipper down to sandy bottoms, especially at the edges of the weedbeds in a bit of light current. The shallow water with nippers in the sand will hold heaps of juvenile whiting, so if you're interested in catching (but not eating), then the sandflats can be a good option for kids. A rising tide is best in the shallows.

The nippers will get bitten off by pickers fairly frequently, so maybe teach the kids how to put the new nippers on by themselves, or your day might be spent putting nippers on hooks and not fishing.

The kids will probably appreciate if they can access food, drink, hats, suncream, etc.