Xanthic Luderick Photo

slam354

Hi Raiders

I stumbled upon this story about this weird looking luderick probably an albino fish.This fish was caught at Goodnight Island,Crookhaven River.NSW in 2004.Such is the rarity of this fish it is registered in the Australian Museum Icthyology Collection.The word Xanthic is of greek origin and means blonde or light coloured.This Luderick looks like a Goldfish.What do you guys think?

Cheers Steve

post-13936-128149181673_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders

I stumbled upon this story about this weird looking luderick probably an albino fish.This fish was caught at Goodnight Island,Crookhaven River.NSW in 2004.Such is the rarity of this fish it is registered in the Australian Museum Icthyology Collection.The word Xanthic is of greek origin and means blonde or light coloured.This Luderick looks like a Goldfish.What do you guys think?

Cheers Steve

Its Dad got on with a goldfish :tease::074:

I have no idea what it is :wacko:

Hey Slam,

Sure is a rarity.

For around 12 years I would fish the ocean rocks at La Perouse.

The boys accounted for thousands of fish during that time.

Never seen one like that but I HAVE seen them very light coloured when caught over the sand at little Marley beach in the National park.

My fish did, however, possess the vertical stripes whereas this one doesn't.

The fact that the fish is now registered means that even the scientists are baffled.

It would almost certainly be caused by some sort of genetic mutation, but it would not be clear if the mutation was caused by pollution or just plain natural selection. The fish may indeed have some advantage over the others, and when it reproduces, you will get a percentage of mutants. Then again, it may fail to attract a mate and remain desperate and dateless.

Tony

Steve, the more common name is "Tiger Blackfish" - NOTICE THE COLOURS. Used to get a lot around Balmain. You find them during winter from March to August. They're Balmain Tigers supporters but as you can imagine are rarely seen much into the month of September (finals time)

OK I'm only joking, never seen anything like it at all.

Rick

Thanks for the replies guys and it is quite amazing that a fish could develop mutations as such.That fish is definitely a tiger blackfish Rick.Lets catch one on Sunday you catch the fish and I will look for the Balmain Jersey.

Cheers Steve.