What Fish Is This?

elite

a mate sent me this picture and i cant figure out what fish it is...

he claims it's a kingy but the angle of the shot and the dirtiness of the fish makes it difficult to identify..

tail end looks a bit thick for a kingy

post-6537-128218676388_thumb.jpg

I picked up a sambo from v close to the boat ramp at Akuna bay. (72 cm and a great fighter). The fish's colour was fairly greenish like the pic above, and not the normal salmon silver. There was a huge nasty gash across its back, probably from a boat's prop. Needless to say, it went back in.

Since then, when I get there before dawn, I've seen quite a few sambos swimming around under the lights at the boat ramp.

Who reckons its about time we rename the common name for this fish. Its always embarrassing when I have to explain to people that its not actually a salmon and it certainly doesn't taste like one. I understand the common name is derived from its juvenile likeness to a real salmon but that's drawing a pretty long bow in itself. Calling them aussie salmon is even more of an embarrassment. Kiwis call them kahawai, I reckon that's a whole lot better than salmon. Any one else agree with me?

Yep... Its a Sambo... and a biggun @ that!

Sadly though many dont rate them as table fish- but I reckon if prep correctly (fillet and skin, then cut out the blood line) they taste pretty good- esp done in fish cakes or a beer batter.

All thats required is a nice quenching ale to wash it down beersmile.gif

Tight Lines

Anthony