Plano Airliner Telescoping Rod Case

hottyscotty

• 1 year later...

Seeing that no one knows absolutely anything about it. I'll let you know what i think about it then. :thumbup:

post-3052-014275900 1335583538_thumb.jpg post-3052-042460200 1335583554_thumb.jpg

I needed a rod tube for overseas travel and i wanted something off the shelf. I thought about going PVC but i've seen tragic endings to expensive rods from others who have trusted PVC. (Also, i was lazy to make one as well :1prop: )

I looked at Nature Boys as i haven't heard or read anything negative about it but i thought it wasn't worth it as 60% of the cost goes towards shipping. I looked at Carmate, Flambeau etc and they've all had some degree of negativity. Then i looked at Plano. They have several sizes but i decided to with the largest one. Check plano website for specs. I chose this because it felt quite strong. My gf and two nieces sat on it altogether once and it didn't bend. I liked the wheels too. Trust me they were handy when you have to walk to one end of the airport to check-in and then walk back to other to send bulk luggage thru (pointing fingers at AKL aiport!!!). I also liked it because knowing i would never need to fully extend the tube, the inner tube acted as extra support. The tube is pretty heavy though. I think it weighs about 5kg when empty. I had five rods and clothing to act as further support, which came to abt 10kg.

It's completely lockable, one lock has been taped up with gaffer tape, this is to lock it to the length you want. It comes with a pin but its not secure. If you take the pin out, the inner tube can be taken out and then anyone can have free access to the rods. The 2nd lock is on the lid itself, the elastic you see is when you open the lid, the lid stays connected so you won't lose it

post-3052-010308900 1335583565_thumb.jpg post-3052-018071700 1335583577_thumb.jpg

Its been on 3 trips so far and each time it only came back with minor scratches. On my last trip though, i noticed a line a never saw before and it formed where it took a heavy knock. Not an expert but you can see for yourself in the photo. I hope this line doesn't cause any damage to the tube in future.

post-3052-059808300 1335583586_thumb.jpg

With a bit of haggling, this tube came to $180, which is small change considering the cost of quality rods these days.