70Cm Salmon In The Harbour

ganymede

Went out by myself this afternoon to target some bream off Clarke's Reserve in the Harbour. Couple of people leaving said they'd had no serious bites in a few hours.

I set up, a solitary soul on the wall, at about 2.45, with a couple of rods, one baited with prawn, the other lightly weighted pilchard cross-sections tossed out to catch the flow. A smallish bream, maybe 20 cm, hooked itself on the big rod that was cast out wide; threw that back.

Then the smaller rod, with a 1000 reel loaded with 6kg braid and a sufix fluoro leader, bent double and started screaming in the rodholder.

Got to it, tried to tighten the drag a bit to slow whatever it was down, but it still kept stripping line for a few seconds. Dragging it in was a whole new ballgame. The reel was pivoting in the reel seat of the rod (an old silstar), and I was fearing both rod And reel would give up the ghost.

I had no idea what it was at this point. Mulloway or Kingfish I was hoping. I managed to reel it in by securing the line and reel with one hand, bending back as hard as I could, then snatching a few turns of line before the reel starting twisting in the reel seat again.

Sadly, no Mulloway or Kingfish, just a salmon. But a salmon that measured 70cm. I hadn't realised that was anything special until my son checked the 'Raider records. Seems it equals the 4th or 5th biggest salmon caught on bait. Yay team!

I stuck it out for two more hours, but caught nothing more.

G.

post-13488-128231584716_thumb.jpg

Edited by ganymede