Maroochy River Qld

fran1mat

Hello Raiders,

Spent the past week on the Sunshine Coast Qld with the family on an unexpected vacation.

I took the opportunity to go out on a half day charter with a local operator who fishes the estury systems from the Pumicestone Passage right up to the Noosa River. On this occasion we fished the Maroochy River which for those that don't know it, is a healthy river that runs though the town of Maroochydore which is just north of Moolloolaba, all towns in the area otherwise known as the Sunshine Coast, all 1.5 hour north of Brisbane.

Anyhow, enough of the geography lesson. The fishing was consistently excellent. There were two others on board and everyone caught plenty of fish including dusky flathead, trevally, bream and cod. The skipper was telling me they catch plenty of school jew and when the season is right, Mangrove Jack as well.

All of these fish were caught on 3" Berkly Gulp Minnows in the Smelt colour. They seem to be the skipper's plastic of choice and they fished really well all day.

This trevally was mine, it went 53cm. I haven't experienced anything like it, we actually had to chase the thing up the river using the electric motor, it just wouldn't stop.

post-10314-12827380258_thumb.jpg

The flattie went 62cm. This flattie and the cod were caught by others on board but I thought I would share the pic's as they were nice fish caught in very tranquil surroundings.

post-10314-12827383112_thumb.jpg

post-10314-128273842007_thumb.jpg

All of the fish caught on the day were released.

There were plenty of other fish caught as well, lots undersize but plenty would have gone legal as well.

A very good half day fishing.

Regards,

catch'n'release