Urgent Help Needed With Spinner Bait Advice

brendong

I'm heading up to the Clarence mid next week in search of some great little Aussie Bass....I am hearing they are being taken on spinner baits....I've never bought, tried or tied one on....Can you please give me your thoughts on:

Brand:

Pattern/Type:

Colours: (I have read previous Raider Reports that Purple is the go)

Oh yeah and technique, is it just a case of peppering a snag and then slow roll?

Help Help Help!!!

G'day PT,

Spinnerbaits are really easy to use. Like you said... just tie one on and away you go.

In clear water (outside ugly snags), trailer hooks can be added but I wouldn't worry about it.

There are plenty of good brands but Bassman make good ones. They come in varying weights. I'm a big fan of the small "jazz" spinnerbaits.

You'll usually find one of 2 kinds of blades on them (or a combination). The narrow 'pointed-leaf' shaped blade (called a willow blade) or the wide 'spoon' blade (called a Colorado blade). Colorado blades work slower and put out a lower frequency thump while willows spin faster and are suitable for faster retrieves. Lures for big lazy cod (not that I've caught any mind you) usually have Colorados. Most of my bass spinnerbaits have a combo of a Willow and a smaller Colorado.

Colours are personal preference. I've found that dark colours (like purple... my personal favourite) work well on dull days or in discoloured water while more natural colours like olive greens go well in clearer/brighter conditions. If you get a chance to fish with Jewhunter, just have a look at which colour he's using and then pick something else :074:

Blade colour is personal choice too but mostly people use silver blades in clear water and gold blades in discoloured water.

The best thing about spinnerbaits is that you can literally throw them right into the middle of fallen timber and snags and then slowly retrieve them... they usually bounce right over the logs. Casting in clear water you can just slow roll them back, you can pause so that they sink and work them down slopes or edges (the blades of good spinner baits will work as it sinks...kind of like a helicopter). In snags you can work them over timber and let them fall into pockets of deeper water. They're pretty resistant to grass and weed too.

Hope this helps, Slinky

Awesome info as usual from the Slinkster...love your work...purple is diffinately on the purchase list with some naturals by the sounds....Jazz, Bassman will definately get a look in. I read of Swordy's adventures to Glenbawn and Smak and Secret Creek he recomended so I might check them out too...

They have been getting a few on the surface which does seem early but is my preferred method of attacking Bass but I need to have all options open particularly when the sun is high....bring on the 1st of September....

Aus spin are a favorite of mine in lake st clair, Gold blades with the mix of colarado and willow like slinky said are what we have found worked, 1/8 or 1/4 weight depending on depth. its been a while since i have used spinner baits for bass, but thats what worked for us in the past. just have a few. if you are getting strikes but no hook ups thats when i would try a trailer hook or thread on a soft plastic too the hook (some use gulp flick baits and some use curl tail's its really up to personal choice) slow rolling, possibly with a pause, or hopping it, just like and other lure really. Good luck on the bas, cant wait too see some pictures.

I agree with Slinky, Jaz mini spinners are great bass lures.

You can try out a range on SP with them, I like using a Mister Twister style double curl tail (two kicking legs is my thinking)

They're great for when the Sun comes out and the poppers stop working. A medium pace roll with some pauses should see you get smashed.

Mick

How good is the info offered by fellow Raiders.....all awesome stuff....hoping we can post some crazy bass pics....word is fish aren't plentiful but many C&R's in the high 40's :1yikes::1yikes: this time last year 50 plus's were common :1yikes::1yikes::1yikes: fingers crossed...

All spinnerbaits work,some better than others.

I prefer purple,brown or green ones with a small colarado blade and a bigger willow blade and stinger hooks are mandatory as bass short strike the ones with out them.

Gold and silver blades work well together.

Another awesome spinnerbait is the fluro or glow in the dark one made by kakoda and all you do is light the blades and skirts up with a torch and are dynamite just before first light and just on dark.

Preferred size is 1/4 to 3/8oz the 1/2s are a bit too heavy IMHO.

Cast them tight in amongst the snags and structure and dont let them sink,commence a slow retrieve straight awayand feel the pulse of the blades.The bass can not help but hit them really hard.

post-256-128280957938_thumb.jpg

post-256-128280958855_thumb.jpg

Cheers Stewy

I really haven't got any more to add to this mate. :wacko:

The info in these replies will have you covered.

Swordy has caught more bass than anyone I know. Follow his tips closely & you can't go wrong.

Slinky, you have now reserved yourself the worst spot & casting obstructions I can find!

It's backing into snags all the way now mate! :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

Hi all , you should also try betts spins, they are a smaller version of your standard spinner bait but with no jighead or hook attached, just a wire bent wire arm with attachment point at one end and a small colorado blade on the other.You add your own jighead and soft plastic to suit your target species. The bass in the Nepean river smash them hard as they are about 1/3 the size of a standard spinner bait. Give them a try, cheers troutboy

I love Fish Raider!!!!! thanks so much boys for all the info!!!!

Quick question re stinger hooks, do you just tie a locked blood knot on a shortened 10-20 lb leader both ends?

And re the willow and colorado's blades, are they interchangable or do they just come set up ready to go?

Edited by Poddy Trapper

I love Fish Raider!!!!! thanks so much boys for all the info!!!!

Quick question re stinger hooks, do you just tie a locked blood knot on a shortened 10-20 lb leader both ends?

And re the willow and colorado's blades, are they interchangable or do they just come set up ready to go?

Poddy go look on youtube at my vids on bass fishing (mrsswordfisherman). You will get some tips there and see swordies techniques in action thumbup.gif

Thanks for all your help team with the Spinner bait advice...we made one last call up North that made us back flip completely on our 'Gorge' plans as the bass are now quite patchy....But I plan on hitting Glenbawn with the family in a few months so will put the advice to good use in coming months. So the word is there are plenty of solid breambo's on blade in the Mallacoota (Vic) system so look out blue noses....