A Surprise From The Georges River

paul.kenny

Hi Raiders,

It looked promising for the Georges River today with a high passing over NSW and the water slightly warmer (between 13.8 and 15degrees). It was a coolish start at 6am and I visited all my normal winter holes in the mid Georges River flicking SPs and Blades. I started flicking large SPs for Jewies but after losing the tail off three large stick baits to hoards of tailor :ranting2: I decided to use blades for Bream, EPs and flatties. Unfortunately the tailor also took a liking to the blades :thumbdown: and I caught half a dozen of them ranging from 20cm - 30cm.......annoying but the bigger versions were fun on the bream gear :biggrin2: .

I found the water around the wires at Lugarno to be slightly warmer at 9am (incoming tide and 14.9 degrees) and decided to dwell around the deeper holes. I was getting many subtle taps but no tailor, so I decided to change from the blades to a smaller SP wriggler.....this strategy immediately paid off and I got solid tap followed by a very powerful run. Firstly I thought it might have been a large bream or small jewie, but as I gained line I saw a little silver before another powerful dive......I then called it for a large EP only to be surprised to see it was a bass.

post-12960-128308524472_thumb.jpg

As my name suggests, I love catching bass and was very surprised to catch this fine wild river specimen in the Georges :1yikes: . 31 cm for a wild river Bass is a great catch and I was delighted and after a quick photo it was released to fight another day. It was my only decent fish of the day as the remainder of the morning was a succession of small tailor and flatties.

It was a great morning out, however the jetskiers are now starting the hit the Georges River in numbers......a sign that I will have to start fishing Botany Bay again.

Edited by Basscatcher

That's definitely an EP. The forehead isn't steep enough to be a bass, and the mouth is so far projected forward it must be an EP.

I initially thought the same, however the anal fin looks more like a Bass anal fin and the head is not as 'scooped' as the previous models of EP that I have caught. I looked at all my Bass photos and thought the colour and fins were more bass like (noting the compressed photo makes the fish look elongated)...I have now looked at a number of 'hybrid reports' and I reckon it could be an EP/Bass hybrid. Regardless it was enjoyable to catch on finesse bream gear with 4lb leader and braid :biggrin2: .

Well done on your catch, Basscatcher - that is one sort of surprise that I like!!! EP or Bass - it would have loaded up your rod well! :biggrin2:

Roberta

It was a great fight and I was worried that it would get back down against the rock wall and cut me off. I hope they reappear in numbers once the water warms.

Looks very Perch like to me with that head.... I'd say it's an EP for sure. I was talking to someone yesterday about Hybrid EP/Bass and some people in the know are of the opinion that Hybrids are possible.

Mick

Still a great fish non the less mate!

When are you comin to the Nepean river to chase some bass? im going to try on Friday to see if there are a couple around and will defiantly be targeting them weekday arvo's when its daylight savings

I am planning to give the Nepean a crack a bit later in the year when the water warms up a tad. Also planning for a long weekend trip to the Hunter Valley impoundments in late October....I have had great success in previous years during October.

• 2 weeks later...