Karuah Bream

deckie 3

Just for the local Newcastle guys....my fishing buddy (Yanko Serifi of ANSA Angel Ring fame) reports that the Karuah River Oyster racks (above the new bridge),are firing.

He and a colleague fished the racks on a falling tide last Sunday with 3" Bass minnows (Colour didn't matter) for 14 bream up to 42cm, 6 Flathead to 60cm and 2 Whiting ...... all released.... He claims that they were busted up with many more bigger fish.

Does anyone now the area and fish it??

I know where you are talking about. My mate has been on my back to fish Karuah for a while now. That might be just the incentive I need :biggrin2:

Anyone know where the closest boat ramp to the new bridge would be? Or is it just easier to launch at Karuah??

Hi Deckie,

I've never fished it but did stop off at Karuah on my way back from Taree a while ago and had a cuppa in a park with a wharf just as you come over the bridge. Is that the place?

I walked out to the end of the wharf where NO ONE was fishing and could see bream, garfish and mullet just swimming around. Never seen anything like it, looked like a giant aquarium.

I resolved to go back but so far haven't got there.

Cheers,

Guest bluecod
Hi Deckie,

I've never fished it but did stop off at Karuah on my way back from Taree a while ago and had a cuppa in a park with a wharf just as you come over the bridge. Is that the place?

45859[/snapback]

Mottyman,

The leases that Deckie3 is talking about are to the west of the new bypass bridge located a couple of klms upstream of the old Pacific Highway bridge that is right at Karuah itself.

I havn't fished the racks beyond the new bridge - nice to hear that they are firing.

Karuah is an interesting location with some good structure and productive water. My problem is that I boat over from Lemon Tree and there are too many tempting spots to flick a lure on the way! If I put blinkers on I might stand a chance of getting to the bridges!

Thanks Bluecod, the bypass was just due to open when I went though. I hear it's killed Karuah and the shops are all bare in the main street (friend from work went through 2 weeks ago) :thumbdown: (not wanting to change the subject).

Cheers,

As BlueCod explained, take the old Pac H.Way up to Karuah, Turn left at the lights just before the bridge, (opp the club) theres a wharf down the bottom (with a good cleaning table)!!!

Just head upstream about 3kms.....

Now thats underneath the new bypass bridge ignoring the first racks you come across. After the bridge keep travelling upstream and the river makes a severe right hand turn (racks on the Nthn cnr look brilliant BUT don't seem to fire). Keep travelling about 1.5kms and you will come across a large creek on the right with oyster racks all through the mouth and a little upstream. Start working that area....

Its worth a look guys...April May seem to be the prime months