Fishing Scotts Head

paulmcc

Hi Raiders,

I am heading up to Scotts Head in the middle of October and was contemplating taking the Hobie Pro Angler up there for a bit of inshore reef fishing. I was wondering if any fellow raiders had fished this area with any success and what I should be expecting to catch. I was hoping there might be some OK Snapper grounds close to Scotts Head.

I was also thinking of taking the crab traps for some muddies in the river that passes out the back of the town but don't know if that would be a waste of time.

Fished the rocks at scotts head and there fantastic, Bream,Drummer,Huge Dart and also caught a few small Jew. If you get can get some Gps marks for some reefs offshore im sure they would be worth a shot. Seen plenty of people troll the headland for Tuna during the warmer months. I get muddies from Nambucca and kalang river which are only a little north of where you wont to try,so i cant see why they would'nt be the that system.

All the local guys launch there boats from the beach near the caravan park, should be nice and safe to launch you yak from there to.

Drop Rickb a message, he fishes offshore up ther a fare bit and might give you the heads up on a few areas to try offshore..

Mick

Hi Paulmcc,

Just as Mick said I fish out of Scotts .

Mate if your bringing a yak,lets keep our fingers crossed for weather,

All the westerlys should be gone then,at the moment it would be rough

out there even in a sub.Have you a sounder in yak,how far do you fish offshore,I have plenty of

gps marks.If I was you I would put hobie in off grassy head beach,north end,I will give you a

mark for a wreck,jew ,kingie and snapper,also that head land has a lot of close reef.

When your coming up just PM,I will give you a few close Marks.

Cheers Rick.

Thanks guys.

I am up there in the third week of October so I am hoping the winds have dropped by then. I do have a nice sounder fitted to the yak but don't have a gps on board. Might be worth seeing how hard it is to remove the wiring on my boat gps and fit it to the yak, only problem is I will need to fit a small battery to power it up unless I can rig up something like I have where I have AA batteries powering my fish finder.

Would be great if I was able to get amongst some Snapper on the close reefs.

rickb, I will make contact with you closer to the dates.

Thanks again.

Mate if the seas are ordinary throw the yak on the roof and drive around to nambucca and fish the mouth of Warrel Ck and the all the weedy flats, drop offs and islands opposite the golf course for spring Crocs...should be firing up I reckon...I only fish it mid January but would love to hit it when its not under as much summer rec fishing pressure.

good luck.

Thanks guys.

I am up there in the third week of October so I am hoping the winds have dropped by then. I do have a nice sounder fitted to the yak but don't have a gps on board. Might be worth seeing how hard it is to remove the wiring on my boat gps and fit it to the yak, only problem is I will need to fit a small battery to power it up unless I can rig up something like I have where I have AA batteries powering my fish finder.

Would be great if I was able to get amongst some Snapper on the close reefs.

rickb, I will make contact with you closer to the dates.

Thanks again.

Look at some hand held gps units mate, im fishing out of a yak and im trying to keep it free from all the add-ons and wiring.

TThere are some great hand held devices on the market and are very similar priced to fixed models. Good luck up there anyhows, i bloody love it up there!!!!

Mate if the seas are ordinary throw the yak on the roof and drive around to nambucca and fish the mouth of Warrel Ck and the all the weedy flats, drop offs and islands opposite the golf course for spring Crocs...should be firing up I reckon...I only fish it mid January but would love to hit it when its not under as much summer rec fishing pressure.

good luck.

Those areas you fish are the exact areas i fish up there,spring time and after a little bit of rain the place fires right up!!! Ive heard the mouth of Warrel is almost closed up,you can only get up there now on a high tide.

Check out this beast my old man got last spring very close to the mouth of Warrel ck

post-10930-128328660496_thumb.jpg

Im itching to get up there in the next month or so!!!

Those areas you fish are the exact areas i fish up there,spring time and after a little bit of rain the place fires right up!!! Ive heard the mouth of Warrel is almost closed up,you can only get up there now on a high tide.

Check out this beast my old man got last spring very close to the mouth of Warrel ck

post-10930-128328660496_thumb.jpg

Im itching to get up there in the next month or so!!!

Jesus Mick, That is a monster,Hope your Dad put the breeder back.

your right about the river mouth. And to think all of that and the bar could have been dredged

out for nothing,all the bloke wanted was the rutile.COUNCIL knocked him back.

cheers Rick.

Certainly wont be forgeting that fish for a while, i pretty sure that thing went 94cm to mate, 30cm across the head and of course she was released unharmed.

That system is full of monsters,spoked bigger fish while cruising around the flats with the leccy and had a couple fish grab hold of a whole whiting while your tring to reel it in.

Shame about the Mouth of the Warrel Closing up slowly but im sure i can get the yak over it somehow :biggrin2: