Abu 5500C

woodch0p

Have had an Abu 5500c in my possession for some time, and since I have gotten myself into reel servicing I decided to give it a full rebirthing.

Here is an image of the starting product. Fully functional but all original, over 25years old so time for a modern change.

5500c001800x600.jpg

First I removed the old handle, star drag and spool tension knob.

5500c003800x600.jpg

Removed the casing and opened her up. New bearings installed - ceramic abec7's. Also gave the lot a good coat with new grease.

5500c005800x600.jpg

Installed a new drag while it was open - carbonex

5500c006800x600.jpg

Put it all back together, got rid of the old star drag and spool tension knob. Installed new ones sent from pure fishing. Fantastic service I must say, 2 day turn around in parts.

5500c007800x600.jpg

Installed a new handle, power knob...bit of overkill but couldn't resist.

5500c008800x600.jpg

And that's it. 20mins work and have a brand new reel.

Daniel

Great work, Daniel. I love the change to the drag star... I never thought of doing that but it makes that old classic reel so much more user-friendly! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't you just love the fact that Abu have kept so much of their engineering standardised across their range for so long so that upgrades, substitutions and replacements are easy. Not like some brands that seem to go out of their way to make sure every nut, bolt and bearing on every reel is unique... I have some quite uncharitable thoughts about why they do it, involving relieving me of more $$ more quickly.

Cheers, Slinky

great job but wow that handle... :1yikes: personally i would miss the smaller double style handle that make these reels so great for high speed spinning.

Yeah it is a fair bit of over but couldn't resist! Might order a new style paddle handle when I get the wiffle spool for it, as the old one has had its day.