Snapper Rod Off The Stones

Snapperless

Hi Raiders

I currently use a custom 8144 glass rod (3.66 m) with a 6.5 inch alvey for long casts into a NE wind. I need at least 80 meters cast to clear the reef and land on the sand to have any chance of a snapper. I use 20 lb schneider line, a 4 oz snapper lead and a 4/0 hook with short trace to improve aerodynamics.

I would like to upgrade to a lighter outfit without compromising rod length, fighting ability, or casting distance. I want to match it with a Daiwa saltist threadline.

I am happy to pay around $350 for a good rod. Any suggestions.

I think the rod your looking at would be fine. Just check with the length though because as you said you wanted maximum casting capacity. I currently use a 7" Catana soft plastic rod of the stones and I can still land big salmon etc. So i don't think your new rod should have any problems in regards to fighting ability or anything like that. In regards to any other rods to be used with alvey reels I am not sure. But if you check out the Daiwa Sol Rod, something in that sort of quality and range would be perfect for what you are trying to do and is around your price range anyway.

I fish around Avoca rocks a bit and my big rod is a Wilson 5120, very meaty and casts my 3-4 oz snapper leads with ease. I too match it with a Daiwa Saltist 6500.

It has brought in some fine fish as well as some huge ooglies like the the big meter plus banjo shark on Wednesday..

Thanks Raiders,

Sounds like the Nitro or Lox range might be an option.

Ray I have a similar rod, a 4120 schniderglass setup for an overhead for heavy spin, and it goes alright.

I am swaying towards high modular graphite even though it is not as robust as glass, especially on the rocks.

Thanks Raiders,

Sounds like the Nitro or Lox range might be an option.

Ray I have a similar rod, a 4120 schniderglass setup for an overhead for heavy spin, and it goes alright.

I am swaying towards high modular graphite even though it is not as robust as glass, especially on the rocks.

5120, 8144'S ARE VERY MUCH OLD SCHOOL , if you can get your hands on a tip torandao light by century .it will be the best reddy rod of the stones you will ever use ,I use a 4500 salitis on mine and with 125 grams of lead plus bait ,150 mts cast is no trouble , try and load a 5120 with a good lead and bait, they snap in the guts .8144 will just keep bending ,to parabolic in action to get big distance ,tip torando will cast 6 ozs of lead plus a big bait with a full blow pendlum cast ,yet still have a very good tip felling the bite .if are chasing reds you dont want to be catiching banjo sharks ,rays ,and the other rubish .you need to put that bait in the right place .

Thanks Customcasting

Sounds like I need to case up the century range of rods. Are the blanks made in the UK?

yep , they are available thru Australian surfcasting fedration ,the best red taken on one of these blanks land baseg in australia is over 11 kgs ,reds fight hard and you need a good stick to stop them , banjio sharks and rays are just a dead weight that strugels, they dont give your gear a good work out .

• 7 months later...

I might have to invest in such a setup. On the 2nd of June im heading out with Alex Bellisimo to chase Snapper off the stones , said something about long distance casting, so i looked it up on FR and found this. Great start now i just need to find where they sell these rods, ive got a daiwa Saltist 6500H it goes hard so just need the rod !

the century tip torandao light are a great rod, but i use a Sonik SK3 Bass rod. Its another UK surf casting rod (12' 6" Rated 2-5oz casting weight). its light, got a great action and sensitive tip and casts a mile. love it

I might have to invest in such a setup. On the 2nd of June im heading out with Alex Bellisimo to chase Snapper off the stones , said something about long distance casting, so i looked it up on FR and found this. Great start now i just need to find where they sell these rods, ive got a daiwa Saltist 6500H it goes hard so just need the rod !

Hey mate,

is that trip your doing booked up with Alex ir an individual trip ? Would be interested if there is room ?

Cheers

Pete.

5120, 8144'S ARE VERY MUCH OLD SCHOOL , if you can get your hands on a tip torandao light by century .it will be the best reddy rod of the stones you will ever use ,I use a 4500 salitis on mine and with 125 grams of lead plus bait ,150 mts cast is no trouble , try and load a 5120 with a good lead and bait, they snap in the guts .8144 will just keep bending ,to parabolic in action to get big distance ,tip torando will cast 6 ozs of lead plus a big bait with a full blow pendlum cast ,yet still have a very good tip felling the bite .if are chasing reds you dont want to be catiching banjo sharks ,rays ,and the other rubish .you need to put that bait in the right place .

Where would i go to have a play around with a Torandao Light ? Sounds like what im after ! Will have to go check it out !