Lowrance Structure Scan

blacky

G'day Raiders,

Well i have done some research and all reports on the Lowrance structure scan have been great. I was just wondering if any raiders have them ? And also if you recommend the s-scan ?

What are you thoughts? I am just about to buy HDS 8 and may save some more $ and get the structure Scan also . I will be targeting king fish in pittwater / Harbour and long reef in my clark 15ft centre consol.

Any feed back would be appreciated !!!!!

Many thanks to Roosterman and Framedtrash for convincing me to go up from 5inch to 8 inch hds

All the best

Blacky

this it will help make up your mind

i no of a few ppl using it and they love it works to about 70 mtrs but would be best in the shallow water

using it in pittwater is going to be great and in the harbor will be great too

ive been too busy wasting my money on other toys i really need to get my sidescan going

once i get back from NZ its next on my shopping list

ill send you some links to some great articles on it

another neat tool to look into is Dr Depth is software i use to create 3D maps of the areas i fish

its never a good idea to ask me about things to spend money on ive got lots of ideas ha

give me a yell once you get the HDS and ill give u a run down on the unit

Ok Simon, this time next week i should have it so maybe when you get back from Nz we could catch up for some training .... have fun ... when are you going and for how long ?

this it will help make up your mind

i no of a few ppl using it and they love it works to about 70 mtrs but would be best in the shallow water

using it in pittwater is going to be great and in the harbor will be great too

ive been too busy wasting my money on other toys i really need to get my sidescan going

once i get back from NZ its next on my shopping list

ill send you some links to some great articles on it

another neat tool to look into is Dr Depth is software i use to create 3D maps of the areas i fish

its never a good idea to ask me about things to spend money on ive got lots of ideas ha

give me a yell once you get the HDS and ill give u a run down on the unit

sounds good

im off to cairns on thursday for a weeks fishing not going to NZ until late Oct

just going for a few days jigging no sight seeing the only thing ill be seeing is 20+kg kingies being dragged over the gunnels

should be free for a bash next weekend if your keen got a few new marks that im yet to fish inside pittwater had some nice fish on them last trip out

one thing to remember about the sidescan is that it has a rather large control box that will need to be mounted close to where u have the sounder

i havnt seen your boat so not sure how you are for space

Yeah i have plenty of space in the centre console.. should stay nice and dry too. I am about to rewire the whole boat ( good thing i use to be an auto electrician ) .

So shouldn't be a problem ... thanks for the tips and i will look forward to head out in pitty with you when you get back . Pm me so we can t up next week end.

G'day Raiders,

Well i have done some research and all reports on the Lowrance structure scan have been great. I was just wondering if any raiders have them ? And also if you recommend the s-scan ?

What are you thoughts? I am just about to buy HDS 8 and may save some more $ and get the structure Scan also . I will be targeting king fish in pittwater / Harbour and long reef in my clark 15ft centre consol.

Any feed back would be appreciated !!!!!

Many thanks to Roosterman and Framedtrash for convincing me to go up from 5inch to 8 inch hds

All the best

Blacky

Blacky,

Im about to take the plunge and buy a HDS5...was there a major difference between units(5/8) other than display size? also can i asked what you parted with for the HDS8??

Cheers

Alby

Hi Guys, my 2 cents worth and I have used both side imagining systems many times and both are very good. The big plus of the Lowrance system is that is an add-on that you do not need to buy up front but that can also be a minus in that you need a second (large) transdcuer and a "black box" module that can be hard to find an appropriate site for. Both the Lowrance and Humminbird system give similar pictures but I do find the HB system a more user friendly system to operate.

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have and also have good prices for Raider on both brand that offer this very cool feature and trust me in the water around the Sydney area once you get used to what you are seeing then side imagining is fantastic.

Cheers,

Huey.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an HDS-5 with SS. One downside which no-one tells you about is the fact that sometimes when you go out the rivers are devoid of fish. We took a trip up the hacking and didn't cast a lure because there were no decent fish on the SS. Sometimes casting a lure and hoping is more fun than driving up and down the river ;)

Great tech, happy to answer any Questions.

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Gday guys i have a couple questions, i have a lowrance lcx 27c with a 1kw transducer but find when im out around browns or about 400mtrs trolling & beyond i dont get a good bootom reading & dont seem to pick up bait schools especially if theres a bit of swell, & i have been thinking of the hds 7 & fitting the existing 1kw transducer to that & having it just for the sonar & the lcx 27c for the map. Or would the hds 5 even be good for a sounder alone, they seem to be on par with eachother as far as the peak to peak power goes ?

The only things is will it give me a better reading of the bottom out in these type of depths or will it still be the same.

For those who have a hds 5, 7 or even the hds 8 how do you find it as far as picking up bottom & bait scools out in the deep water such as browns etc, i find with my lcx 27c its good as far as the shelf but when i swittch to 50 from 200 its not as good a picture.

Cheers

Edited by scaffsta

G'Day Crew,

I have had structure scan now since release here in Oz. Matched up with a Lowrance HDS-7. I find that I use the SS more than the "normal" sounder, mainly in down scan. The detail and information is amazing once you get an idea of what it is telling you. You can very clearly see submerged timber, rocks and obstructions such as old oyster leases.

It uses a higher frequency 455/800 and the detail will amaze you. I am still learning how to use it effectively, really only use it for depth and enjoy watching the screen. It is only for "shallow" water and was really designed for fresh water fishing in the states. I have not really used the side scan that much, either the area's I have fished are quite devoid of "structure" or I am not reading it right. I found on a recent trip that when using it on left/right it appeared to just mirror the image, that is if some structure was on the left of the boat, it showed it as being on the right also..............

The HDS 5/7 are cumbersome to use, a lot of button pressing for menu changes etc. the 8/10 have quick menu options on the front of the unit, but cost BIG $$$$.

Has it helped me catch any more fish? CERTAINLY NOT! Then again I wasnt catching any BEFORE either, LOL. I just cant help myself when it comes to having toys and gismos. Just like the new I-Pilot from Minn Kota...............

Is it worth the $$$, I really cannot comment. It is a nice to have, not a need to have in my situation. As they say a fool and his money............ just like the I-Pilot...................

Regards,

Rob