Top Arvo Session On The Bay Turned Sour When I Returned Back To The Ramp

steve351

Sorry to hear that, must be very dissapointing to come back to the ramp without a trailer there. I personally would not launch my boat anywhere on Sylvania side as one night we came back to find 8 cars windows were smashed and apparantly 3 or 4 the week before that. Nice of the police to let you keep your boat there but they should occasionally make an apperance at these boat ramps especially the ones that have a reputation, they only know to turn up early hours in the morning to check out safety gear to produce fines. Years ago they used to turn up to boat ramps and do spot checks on serial numbers on boats and motors but haven't seen that for years. It seems to me that revenue is more important than crime, sorry if some people don't agree but thats how i feel about the situation. I called the police once because there was a stolen boat trailer at the george river and the plates and serial numbers were taken off and they said to me that is not our problem call the council. The council told me that they will keep it for a certain amount of time and sell it off to the auctions. So for the person that did the right thing dosent even get the chance to claim it if there isn't a owner found but its ok for the council to make money on it.

Firstly Steve mate, sorry for your loss. Not too sure if i can help out but let us know if there is. mate I know the feeling. I would have to agree with Cungee George on his above quote. Today's motivation on fines and checks seems to be purely based on improving bottom line figures. I too have called the police for several theft issues and was very disappointed with their help.

Unfortunately I personally think forums such as this does more for public awareness and recovery then law enforcement. I'm not saying the police don't try, I just don't think that put these issues high on their priority lists. Mate I will definitely keep a look out for your trailer and hope everyone does. Not to sound cheesy but unfortunately I think we as a recreational group need to band up and question / report anything that looks suss as i think this will make it more difficult for these F&*KS to get away with this. i've noticed many times people just dont say anything even though something someone is doing doesn't look right.

cheers

Dan