Botany Bay 8Th Sep

rebehy

Hi Guys. I had the Alley to myself today. Decided to go out for a couple of hours on the lull of the low tide at around lunchtime. Peeled prawns produced 8 legal travelli picked off the bottom (all between 30-35cm). One jacket and a few pinkies that went back in. Here's a TRUE fishers story for you (Scouts honour). My biggest travelli slipped from my hands after cleaning and sank in the drink :05: Oh well more for the fish to eat I guess. It was a great day for me out there on my own. :biggrin2: At one stage I signalled to a passing dinghy to fish the bottom close to where the action was for me while holding up one of my prize catches, but they must have had bigger plans in mind.

post-1297-002425400 1283946606_thumb.jpg

Good report :thumbup:

Its really awesome how you cleaned that leather jacket

Might want to throw away the heads too apparently they hav toxins which giv you diareah and givs you headaches nausia

Thanks for the tip on the jacket heads. I didn't know that. I usually take the heads off but sometimes leave them on the smaller ones because of the flesh in their cheeks. Thanks again for the heads up.

Good report :thumbup:

Its really awesome how you cleaned that leather jacket

Might want to throw away the heads too apparently they hav toxins which giv you diareah and givs you headaches nausia

I knew about that........leatherjackets ALWAYS give me the shits!!!!!!

Tuffy

Hey guys, about the toxin in the heads - I have not heard of this before.

I used to catch a lot of the chinaman jackets on the peak and 12 mile.

I have made leatherjacket head soup many times and do not remember experiencing these symptoms.

Perhaps it's a tropical species of jacket that contains these toxins, like ciguaters does ?

Ciguatera definately does have these symptoms and more.....

By the way, nice catch of trevs.

I bet next time when cleaning them, you'll give them the grip of death in case they slip overboard again...

..or perhaps you will have a mask and set of fins close to hand !

Tony

I knew about that........leatherjackets ALWAYS give me the shits!!!!!!

Tuffy

:Funny-Post:

I had to laugh at your reply Tuffy.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. One thing I should have added is that I probably lost half a dozen more Trevs by striking too early. I found that at least five seconds after a nibble was needed to ensure setting a hook. Still learning and force of habit took over on several occassions missing more fish that I actually caught.