Whats The Story...

jim77

Went out again on Sunday confident of getting some good kings following Saturdays success. Ended up wasting time going to the Peak - stayed there for a while for nothing, then went out to 12 mile.

When we got there we had a double hook up on jigs first drop, and then one more and then it went quiet. From chatting to a couple of boats and also listening to the radio it sounded as if they were on in numbers earlier on.

We sounded around for a bit and decided to drop some livies to see if that would stir them up again. First yakka went down and within about 30 seconds it got smashed. A nice 75ish cm King boated and another livey straight back down. Again almost instantly the rod tip starts to dance around. It seemed to take forever before the rod buckled over (so hard to not strike when you're using circle hooks!) and then it was just dead weight.

I wound it up thinking maybe squid or micro king, or possibly big jacket, and then this little fella popped up. I was very happy - has to be one of if not my favourite eating fish.

We hung around and got a few more kIngs on livies before heading back in in great glassy conditions. We timed it perfectly because as we got to the heads the NEaster picked up.

Another great day on the water and the fishing is definitely picking up quickly.

Good luck if you're heading out.

post-4846-074297800 1284509133_thumb.jpg

Hey Jim,

Jeez that's a nice clear colourful photo. Fish straight out of the water in full colour, nice blue ocean background and all I can think of is that fish grilled in lemon herb butter.... If only the kingies tasted as good as the JD's.....

Tony

Nice dory! I havnt caught one of those for about 3 years now, only target them in the harbour though. Might have to put in some time in the next few weeks and have a serious go. Let me know if you want some one to fish with when your on hols i will be there in a flash

The reason we dont catch them anymore is that they have banned fishing in the harbour wharves such as the Zoo and Manly which wer prime fishing grounds.Clifton Gardens and Balmoral is okay but miserably crowded and you are lucky to get a couple of fish.

Well done on the John Dory Jim... :thumbup: As a youngster wollomolloo wharfs where the flash units are use to hold plenty as well as Ruscutters bay wharfs where all the sailing boats are . Still remember walking around with livies in a bucket waiting to see on what looked like a plastic bag and cast a livie to them on a hand line , sight fishing at its best . If only soft plastics were invented back then...

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: John..... :beersmile:

Hi Jim, Nice catch,great photo. I also caught one that same Sunday fishing at Browns. The depth was 440m, total suprise catch. Didn't think they would be that deep. Anyone else caught one in that sort of depth?

The President.

G'day Mr President,

The dory you caught on the mountain would be a silver dory. They don't have the black dot that the john dory does. Anything that comes from the bottom of browns tastes good...

G'day Mr President,

The dory you caught on the mountain would be a silver dory. They don't have the black dot that the john dory does. Anything that comes from the bottom of browns tastes good...

Certainly looks like a black dot to me.......or am I just dreaming!!!!!!

Tuffy