What To Do In Outboard Service?

andrew399

Ok so basically im a massive tight arse (student) and dont want to spend money where I dont have to so I want to service my engine myself. I had a proper service done at the about November last year and have probably only put about 30 hours on it since then. Is it time i did a bit of maintenance before summer or is it right for a while longer?

If its time for me to have a crack what should I focus on? Im not a mechanical genius but im not that bad i do most of the work on my hilux my self but I have never touched an outboard. Is it time to change the sparkplugs already? Iv heard there are some grease nipples somewhere, where are they and is it time to give them a hit? Is normal lithium based grease ok or should i go the marine outboard grease? Do any fluids need replacing etc? Maybe its worth me getting a service manual from somewhere, or is everything pretty straight forward?

Thanks for any tips, by the way its a 2002 50hp yamaha.

Gdayyyyyyyy Dicko,

I feel your pain about the lack of funds :(

The problem with do it yourself work is you may miss something that is minor now and if missed may end up costing you a lot more than just a minor service.

If you are not 100% sure of what you are doing take it to Huey and have peace of mind as it is just not worth the mess you will get into later IMHO.

Cheers Stewy.

PS I am hopeless when it comes to doing mechanical stuff and need an expert in everything from boats and cars to fishing reel maintenance

I understand completely where you are coming from Swordy, and I highly reccommend Huey to anyone that needs anything done to their boat. I have taken my boat there a number of times for repairs etc and can not praise them enough. But when it comes to a simple service which costs around $400, much of it in labour, I can probably save about $300 by doing it myself which I can put towards sounders, gear or whatever, and Im asuming, as with cars, you would be able to see any major problems through leaks, cloudy oils etc etc at which point I would take it to Huey. Im really just after a bit of a checklist for DIY service than a how to guide...

I understand completely where you are coming from Swordy, and I highly reccommend Huey to anyone that needs anything done to their boat. I have taken my boat there a number of times for repairs etc and can not praise them enough. But when it comes to a simple service which costs around $400, much of it in labour, I can probably save about $300 by doing it myself which I can put towards sounders, gear or whatever, and Im asuming, as with cars, you would be able to see any major problems through leaks, cloudy oils etc etc at which point I would take it to Huey. Im really just after a bit of a checklist for DIY service than a how to guide...

Understand completely Dicko,

I hope that some of the more mechanically minded raiders will get your list up and running.

Cheers Stewy

Understand completely Dicko,

I hope that some of the more mechanically minded raiders will get your list up and running.

Cheers Stewy

Oww are my ears burring ?

Ok this if for a 2 stroke .. if yours is a 4 stoke sorry i cant help any more ..

1 Year Service

Anode / External ... Check / Replace

Battery electrolyte Laval terminal ... Fill, Charging or Replace

Cooling water leakage ... inspect / Replace

Cowling lock leaver .. Inspection

Engine starting, rope or starter condition / noise ... repair or replace

Engine idle speed ... Adjust

Fuel Filter ... Replace

Fuel lines ... Inspect / Replace

Fuel pump ... inspect / replace

Fuel Leak ... Inspect

Oil Leak ... inspect

Gear oil ... replace

Greasing points ... grease

Impeller water pump housing ... inspect / replace

Impeller ... replace

Prop nut ... cotter pin , grease shaft

Shift link/ cable ... inspect / replace / Adjust

Spark plugs ... inspect / replace

Spark plug leads ... inspect / replace

Water from pilot hole ...inspect

Throttle link / cable / pick up timing .. inspect / replace Lubricate

Thermostat ..inspect / replace

water inlet ..inspect

Switches .. inspect / replace

Fuel tank / filter ...inspect / replace

ya want to be bloody grateful do you know how long that took me to copy that out of my service manual ..I have RSI now

Gym_

Edited by Gym_

Might have some useful bits in there but if i was going to spend money on it i would get the one for that series of motor ..

Like service manual for Yamaha oil injected 2 stroke 1993 - 1997 40-70hp and then the series name what ever it is.. like mine is CV i don't know what yours is though.. ABC/72-D etc..

Might take you a few weeks to find it just keep your eyes out on that on-line Auction site and it will turn up one day..

Cheers Gym_

Gday Dicko

Ive got one of those "cheap" service manual CDs of a auction site. Mine was about $10-15. It is sorta detailed, but very general. It does have some step by step instructions but its not dedicated to a certain HP motor. It covers many HP over several model years. I just got it for general reference incase I want to tinker with something one day. (EG on Xmas holidays if I have a breakdown and I want to have a fiddle myself if the mechanics are shut)

I reckon if you are not that familiar with marine mechanicals then you should get a more dedicated manual for your exact motor. They are usually a lot more specific, even down the colours of each wire in the wiring looms etc.

I'll PM you my opinion on professional 12 month servicing and some other DIY checks and hints

cheers

Rod

Pretty much what i thought to .. if your really want to be getting decent intrusions on pulling your motor apart AND putting it back together CORRECTLY again then you really need the right and exact info ..lol..

Were the hell dose this bit go.. DUHHHHH :1yikes: LOL

If you are serious about doing it yourself, which is terrific, then do yourself a favour and at least get a proper manual. honestly they are about $50 and after you have finsihed with it you can sell it on that online auction site and almost get all your money back. There is nothing wrong with home maintenance for your motor and doing so will serve you well in tackling problems for years to come as you will gain an understanding of how it all works rather than putting fuel in a tank and turning the key. for mine it is very satisfying, but different strokes for different folks....

Cheers

Mick :thumbup::thumbup: