Shimano Sedona

JET01

Haven't been fishing long. Have a Shimano Sedona and a 7ft Starlo Stix.

I spoke to a bloke that said lanolin was good for reels...

Needless to say it doesn't work anywhere near as good as i used too... It's all sticky.

Is it best to send it off to Shimano for a service or can i just spray some CRC in there to clean out the lanolin.

What's a real service worth?

G'day Jet,

When you say you used Lanolin... where in or on the reel and how did you apply it? Just spraying another lubricant probably won't be a good fix. Sounds like the reel needs to be stripped, cleaned and re-lubed.

Alan Tani has contributed a great overview of lubricants for reels:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=46256

As for the cost of service, give Global Tackle a call. They do servicing too and might be able to sort you out.

Cheers, Slinky

It got dropped over the side. I had to dive in a get it.

So i rinsed it out in fresh water and then gave it a few squirts with lanolin... didn't take the spool off or take any screws off because i don't know what i'm doing.

Just spoke with the boys in Global Tackle. Going to drop it off and see what they reckon. Been thinking about getting a better set up for my birthday next month, so not too worried. Would be nice to have two fully set up rods in the boat though, one with a blade and one with SP rig. Get sick of tying knots all day when i wanna change rigs... So hopefully the reel's not completely stuffed.

Thanks for the advice... I'll keep the lanolin for the trailer only in future.

G'day Jet,

The problem isn't the lanolin... it's the trip into the water. If you dunk a reel, rinsing it and spraying with anything just won't sort out the problem. You'll have gummed up (and possibly rusted0 bearings and all the lubricants in your reel are likely to have emulsified.

It wouldn't have mattered what you sprayed. A trip into the briney should only ever be handled by completely stripping and servicing the reel... preferably inside 24 hours.

Global are the boys to go through but you're likely to need a new set of bearings at least.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Jet,

The problem isn't the lanolin... it's the trip into the water. If you dunk a reel, rinsing it and spraying with anything just won't sort out the problem. You'll have gummed up (and possibly rusted0 bearings and all the lubricants in your reel are likely to have emulsified.

It wouldn't have mattered what you sprayed. A trip into the briney should only ever be handled by completely stripping and servicing the reel... preferably inside 24 hours.

Global are the boys to go through but you're likely to need a new set of bearings at least.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks for all you help Gents.

I live down Cronulla way and found out that Shimano's only down the road. Dropped the Sedona off to them. Guy reckons just from the feel of it, there's a few bearing gone already. I fully agree as it sounds like there's sand in there. I'm glad that i've made a few errors with the sedona FD to be honest, as i'm about to upgrade and get a Ci4 Stradic. Hopefully with the tips you guys have given me i'll be able to make the Stradic last a lot longer ;)

Edited by JET01

Its always better to learn from your mistakes earlier and on cheaper gear :P

Reading this section of the forum will definitely get your knowledge up to scratch, Slinky and Alan Tani know just about everything there is to know about reel maintenance. Whether you actually perform the maintenance is another issue, the one which I am struggling with.

Btw I have a sedona and i think its due for a service as well, would it be possible for you to tell me how much shimano charged you for it? It would be wonderful if you could PM me your reply :thumbup: