Friday Morning On The Hawkesbury

Day's Fishin

We decided to put the little tinny in at Spencer with the intention of fishing the drains between Spencer and Wisemans Ferry. We launched at 5am (cold) the chill factor of the air when travelling made us decide to give the wall a shot. Nothing doing for the first half hour when my son said even the catfish are not around. You guessed it the little rod goes off and catty comes over the side. We moved about 30meters further along the wall and put some chicken burly mix into the water as the current flow had almost stalled. !0minutes latter the rod with a strip of chicken got nailed and did a good short run. I couldn't call it until it tried to dog it under the boat

at which time I said it was a soapy. 62cm and just on 3kg jew came aboard. I've never caught a jew on chicken before and that's why we were guessing what had nailed the line to start with. A couple of quick pic's and back into the water he went. Quiet for another 15minutes or so and then a nice little flatty takes a prawn bait and comes over the side for a snap and then released. The flatty went 35cm. Decided to give it a miss for another couple of weeks until the water starts to warm up a bit more. Not a complete washout but it wasn't what we were going for. The drains will just have to wait until next time.

Regards Jeff

post-5857-083302700 1284847635_thumb.jpg

post-5857-016844000 1284847896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Day's Fishin

We decided to put the little tinny in at Spencer with the intention of fishing the drains between Spencer and Wisemans Ferry. We launched at 5am (cold) the chill factor of the air when travelling made us decide to give the wall a shot. Nothing doing for the first half hour when my son said even the catfish are not around. You guessed it the little rod goes off and catty comes over the side. We moved about 30meters further along the wall and put some chicken burly mix into the water as the current flow had almost stalled. !0minutes latter the rod with a strip of chicken got nailed and did a good short run. I couldn't call it until it tried to dog it under the boat

at which time I said it was a soapy. 62cm and just on 3kg jew came aboard. I've never caught a jew on chicken before and that's why we were guessing what had nailed the line to start with. A couple of quick pic's and back into the water he went. Quiet for another 15minutes or so and then a nice little flatty takes a prawn bait and comes over the side for a snap and then released. The flatty went 35cm. Decided to give it a miss for another couple of weeks until the water starts to warm up a bit more. Not a complete washout but it wasn't what we were going for. The drains will just have to wait until next time.

Regards Jeff

Congrats on your catch. Spencer to Wiseman's is a lovely part of the Hawkesbury river.....fished it many times. It's where I actually caught my first jewfish followed by many more. Spencer boat ramp sure is tiny thought isn't it. What is your biggest Jewfish up that way?

Good luck on your next trip.

Pongrass18ft

Pongras 18: The ramp is small and only suitable for small craft launching ,but on the plus side I have never had to wait to use the ramp.:biggrin2: The largest jew we have landed in that stretch of the Hawkesbury was at Laughtondale and it went just over 14kg. We didn't get a length as we only had gripper scales on board. He was caught at night on a live poddy.

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Pongras 18: The ramp is small and only suitable for small craft launching ,but on the plus side I have never had to wait to use the ramp.:biggrin2: The largest jew we have landed in that stretch of the Hawkesbury was at Laughtondale and it went just over 14kg. We didn't get a length as we only had gripper scales on board. He was caught at night on a live poddy.

Regards Jeff

Hi days fishin, mate 14kg is an excellant catch :1yikes: . I'm only up to the 7kg mark. The Hawkesbury does hold large Jewfish and it's on my "to do list". Love fishing up Spencer way though as the schoolies are easy caught especially for the people trying to catch their first jewie.

pongrass18ft