Shimano Rod For Soft Plastics

john w

Being crap at soft plastics i bought a dedicated rod to give me a wriggle on to get it happening a couple of weeks ago.

I went to the shopping centre in Campsie and got a special edition Shimano e.t. 702 rod - at $89.95

It felt really nice - balanced.

A couple of trips out and it snapped just above the join on a snag... eeeek!

I rang Shimano - they don't stock replacement tips... dang

Went through paperwork and surprisingly found the receipt.

Took it back to the shop and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked!

I was prepared to buy a new tip, but there we go -

I have a few types of jig heads and plastics, but have heard good things about a few hard bodies so i headed over to Fish Therapy at Earlwood and bought:

Time to try again.

Fingers crossed!

I'm a keen bait fisher but having caught a Trevally at Scottish Rocks in Jervis Bay on a Tailor lure about a month ago i've definitely got the lure disease.

Have had good results with S-factor on bait, but not on plastics.. more practice needed i guess..

Be gentle on those long sp rods.

Being crap at soft plastics i bought a dedicated rod to give me a wriggle on to get it happening a couple of weeks ago.

I went to the shopping centre in Campsie and got a special edition Shimano e.t. 702 rod - at $89.95

It felt really nice - balanced.

A couple of trips out and it snapped just above the join on a snag... eeeek!

I rang Shimano - they don't stock replacement tips... dang

Went through paperwork and surprisingly found the receipt.

Took it back to the shop and they replaced it on the spot no questions asked!

I was prepared to buy a new tip, but there we go -

I have a few types of jig heads and plastics, but have heard good things about a few hard bodies so i headed over to Fish Therapy at Earlwood and bought:

Time to try again.

Fingers crossed!

I'm a keen bait fisher but having caught a Trevally at Scottish Rocks in Jervis Bay on a Tailor lure about a month ago i've definitely got the lure disease.

Have had good results with S-factor on bait, but not on plastics.. more practice needed i guess..

Be gentle on those long sp rods.

Hey mate,

Good tip, is to not go over your rods line breaking strain when you are filling your reel.

If it a 3 kilo rod, dont use over 6 pound. (or you could so long as you set your drag correctly)

When in a snag, point the rod directly at the snag, and walk straight backwards. This way there is no pressure on the rod itself. The line should be sitting freely within the guides.

If you find it is not coming free, thumb the spool and it should snap.

Hope this helps if you get snagged again, so you dont lose another tip. They are very easy to break.. (also when fishing them from a boat, try not to lift the rod tip too high (try not more than a 45 degree angle to the water) to avoid it over bending and snapping too.

Anyways, sounds like you got great service at the tackle store, which one was it ??

Shimano are great when it comes to service, just recently the drag clicker on my shimano reel stopped working, wasn't a expensive reel but i sent it in to them with the receipt and came back with a new spool, no questions asked.

yer exacte same thing happend to me with my slade not an expensive reel but they replaced the whole spool and letting me keep my old spool to :thumbup:

shimano has great service and would recomond their reels just for the service and not to meantion there reels are great

mitch

Hey mate,

Good tip, is to not go over your rods line breaking strain when you are filling your reel.

If it a 3 kilo rod, dont use over 6 pound. (or you could so long as you set your drag correctly)

When in a snag, point the rod directly at the snag, and walk straight backwards. This way there is no pressure on the rod itself. The line should be sitting freely within the guides.

If you find it is not coming free, thumb the spool and it should snap.

Hope this helps if you get snagged again, so you dont lose another tip. They are very easy to break.. (also when fishing them from a boat, try not to lift the rod tip too high (try not more than a 45 degree angle to the water) to avoid it over bending and snapping too.

Anyways, sounds like you got great service at the tackle store, which one was it ??

Curiously, when i try and type the name of the major retailer, the forum prints+_+_).. anyway, its at Campsie and its a major retailer associated with ET and his gear..

yep, you are right, i should've put the rod straight.. weather was coming in fast and it was starting to piss down.

it was 1km back to the car and i was thinking about that and not concentrating... too much of a hurry.

My fault but they replaced it - there we have it.

Looking at the weather for the morning now.. fingers crossed i take it fer a test drive early

Cheers

jw

Curiously, when i try and type the name of the major retailer, the forum prints+_+_).. anyway, its at Campsie and its a major retailer associated with ET and his gear..

yep, you are right, i should've put the rod straight.. weather was coming in fast and it was starting to piss down.

it was 1km back to the car and i was thinking about that and not concentrating... too much of a hurry.

My fault but they replaced it - there we have it.

Looking at the weather for the morning now.. fingers crossed i take it fer a test drive early

Cheers

jw

Hey mate you live in the ideal place to learn how to use plastics!

Are you land based? or do you own a boat? i can give you some help with areas in the basin that will produce some nice flatties if your interested?

Just pm me if you wish

Pete

Success!

Chucking a few grasshopper coloured squidgy plastics around at Maianbar yesterday one got nailed by a 47cm Flathead - which got a big surprise and was very pissed of.. jumping around and cranky as hell.

I'll be down the Basin this weekend pressing onwards and upwards.

Cheers

med_gallery_15501_645_431327.jpg