Soft Plastic

michaelchen

I been trying my soft plastics to catch fish for awhile now. Im trying to target whatever i can get. But i would like to catch trevelly, bream and sambo, the fighting type. I have caught a couple of sambo, but nothing else, wait i caught a numb ray the other day as well. I been using 3inch berkley plastic for a while. i was wondering if i am not doing well because my plastics are too big, 3inch is like 8 cm. Also what kinda fish can i get with plastics around port hacking landbased?

thanks in advance

Edited by landbaseNewbie

I been trying my soft plastics to catch fish for awhile now. Im trying to target whatever i can get. But i would like to catch trevelly, bream and sambo, the fighting type. I have caught a couple of sambo, but nothing else, wait i caught a numb ray the other day as well. I been using 3inch berkley plastic from &&*&*&. i was wondering if i am not doing well because my plastics are too big, 3inch is like 8 cm. Also what kinda fish can i get with plastics around port hacking landbased?

thanks in advance

I've only had limited success on bream with soft plastics, but in the Hacking I have had more success with flattys and garfish. Flathead is probably the easiest target for the soft plastic novice (like me :biggrin2: ), you pretty much have to drag the plastic in front of its face and you're on. Bream are far more wily and someone else will explain the techniques required there, however I wouldn't think 3inch is overly large for your target species - just means you're less likely to hook pinkies and pickers.

Cheers,

Adam.

I've only had limited success on bream with soft plastics, but in the Hacking I have had more success with flattys and garfish. Flathead is probably the easiest target for the soft plastic novice (like me :biggrin2: ), you pretty much have to drag the plastic in front of its face and you're on. Bream are far more wily and someone else will explain the techniques required there, however I wouldn't think 3inch is overly large for your target species - just means you're less likely to hook pinkies and pickers.

Cheers,

Adam.

garfish? i would love to catch those for live bait. any techniques on catching it? i think 3inch might be a bit big because the bait fishes and prawns and that aint that big.

garfish? i would love to catch those for live bait. any techniques on catching it? i think 3inch might be a bit big because the bait fishes and prawns and that aint that big.

Probably more fluke than anything with the gar.. I'd chosen the spot in search of flathead. Somewhere with patches of weed and plenty of sand, maybe with a gutter to hold some deeper water. If they're about you'll probably see the flashes of silver, cast by sight and you've got a good chance of hooking up. Having said that their are probably better ways to catch more gar if you only intend to bait them, using floats etc, but I just like the feeling of fooling them into eating a lure. They don't go particularly hard, but they apparently taste pretty good if you can get enough of them.

Probably more fluke than anything with the gar.. I'd chosen the spot in search of flathead. Somewhere with patches of weed and plenty of sand, maybe with a gutter to hold some deeper water. If they're about you'll probably see the flashes of silver, cast by sight and you've got a good chance of hooking up. Having said that their are probably better ways to catch more gar if you only intend to bait them, using floats etc, but I just like the feeling of fooling them into eating a lure. They don't go particularly hard, but they apparently taste pretty good if you can get enough of them.

Stippy, I myself have had success with Gars on plastics, although I did modify them somewhat lol.. I berlied a heap of sea gars up with bread down at Jervis bay, and noticed they were attacking my 3 inch power minnow. So I snipped the tail off and threaded it on one of those little green blackfish hooks, pinched small bit of split shot about 200mm up the leader, hey presto ;) landed a dozen big ones and lost plenty more.. They couldnt get enough eh.. whether that was a fluke im not sure, havent been in that situation since ;)..