What A Difference A Day Makes

rickster

My main point in this post is it's now getting towards the time when more anglers want to try their luck fishing the rocks but aren't learning from previous disasters. We definetely don't need another summer like last year.

I headed off the rocks on saturday with Steve and Kev to see if the blackies are really starting to show up. With the bigger high tide mid-morning and a medium swell we had to be a bit cautious but we've fished this spot a hundred times so knew what to look out for. Fish were there straight away and between the three of us we ended up in the mid forties in about 5 hours, with Steve bagging out - SORRY NO PICS, CAMERA IN THE GLOVE BOX . I backed up again on sunday morning, sea had dropped a little but fished for an hour or so with a couple of others and not a single bite, conditions were not as good but still not too bad so where did they go and why????

Back to the inexperienced-while we were getting fish consistently on saturday, four young guys decided they too would try their luck with the blackfish.

I've already explained the wave conditions. Their attire included jeans and no cleats. At one stage one of the more daring decided to stand down next to Steve and Kev on a lower rock as they were catching fish one after another. This ledge had a faif bit of brown slime which made cleats essential. Next bigger wave that came in and actually washed up onto the ledge resulted in this young guy flat on his face and very very wet. The best his mates could do was laugh.

Enough was enough so I gave these guys a spray about what they should and shouldn't be doing but not sure if it had much effect. Let's not have another season like last and start to learn from previous mistakes.

Rick