Lbg - Floating Live Bait

Hi guys,

Not trying to sound too novice but was wondering the setup needed to float live bait off rocks.

If attaching stopper, float then swivel,

1) Where should the stopper be set?

2) How long should the leader be?

3) Knots to be tied?

OR

1) Main line attached to swivel

2) Balloon attached to swivel?

3) How long should leader be?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Grug

When I live bait off the rocks I use a number 16 rubber band to attach my balloon to my main line. I wrap the lack band around my main line about 8 or so times and put the tag end through the other end of the band. I snug it up and then tie the balloon to the band. I don't need a stopper and can pretty much tie the balloon where ever I want.

When a fish strikes the band breaks and I fight the fish normally.

I reckon this is the best way of doing it. I've use lighter line attached to the swivel and balloon but it always seemed to tangle with my main line.

I use a wind on leader usually around 2.5m or so and a double that at least lets me get a few wraps of it on the reel while the fish is still in the water.

Steve

Hi Grug

When I live bait off the rocks I use a number 16 rubber band to attach my balloon to my main line. I wrap the lack band around my main line about 8 or so times and put the tag end through the other end of the band. I snug it up and then tie the balloon to the band. I don't need a stopper and can pretty much tie the balloon where ever I want.

When a fish strikes the band breaks and I fight the fish normally.

I reckon this is the best way of doing it. I've use lighter line attached to the swivel and balloon but it always seemed to tangle with my main line.

I use a wind on leader usually around 2.5m or so and a double that at least lets me get a few wraps of it on the reel while the fish is still in the water.

Steve

Although I'm unfamiliar with wind-on leaders, I think I get the idea.

Thanks so much!

Grug

A wind on leader is a way of joining your leader to your double in such as way that you don't need to use a swivel. The join has a very small profile and is ultra ultra strong. Google it and you'll see a plethora of ways to make them and use them. Or you could buy some from the site sponsors.

Nothing wrong with using a swivel but I prefer not to. If you do use one then I wouldn't tie the balloon to it. Some where near the swivel would be best.

Steve