Portable/handheld Gps

locodave

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any portable GPS units? I've had a look at the Garmin and the Lowrance. I'm opting towards the Lowrance but I have no idea how it works in terms of maps. I want it to be for fishing, so does that mean I download water maps? Does it come loaded with maps?

New to these things.

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have any portable GPS units? I've had a look at the Garmin and the Lowrance. I'm opting towards the Lowrance but I have no idea how it works in terms of maps. I want it to be for fishing, so does that mean I download water maps? Does it come loaded with maps?

New to these things.

Dave, go for the Garmin 72 - probably the best in terms of performance vs cost effectiveness. Maps are something else- you don't really need maps when you have the co-ordinates to various locations, and these coordinates are readily available to anyone.

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Tuffy

Hi Locodave

I have a Garmin 60cx, i think that is the model and it is great.

They have come down in price since i got mine.

I can’t tell you anything about the Lawrence.

With the Garmin, in hind sight i would have purchased the one with a built in compass for marine use.

You need to purchase all the additional maps though. They all add to the cost. If you already have a Garmin map for another unit you can sometimes redeem additional maps for free depending when you got them. I did this for my blue chart and city navigator.

The only negative thing for marine use is the size of the screen. I use my one for everything bush walking, 4x4, street and marine navigation.

Battery life is quite good also and it uses 2xAAs so you can always carry spares.

If you have any other Garmin products you will find these units easy to use.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Does teh garmin 72 have the compass?

I like the look of the 60cx, what is the model with the compass?

Do both these models give you a current position and a direction of where you need to go?

The model with the compass is 60cxs i think,and yes it will give current position and direction.

For the 60cx you need to be moving to get a direction (Not that hard to do just start walking)

Does teh garmin 72 have the compass?

I like the look of the 60cx, what is the model with the compass?

Do both these models give you a current position and a direction of where you need to go?

The 72 has the compass, also the directional arrow to point you in the right direction, distance from point, speed, 500 waypoints and a bin-load of other features. I haven't yet used mine to full potential. I think they are now priced at about $190 from memory - don't know the pricing on the 60cx.

Tuffy