Cooks River Nice Bream

Dozer25

Im relative new to fishing and yak fishing of course. This is my first post as i finally have something worth posting.

Went to the Cooks River for the first time under a bridge near Tempe Train Station early Monday. I was fishing the first couple of hours of the run out tide. I tried flicking some soft plastics with no luck at all. Thankfully i brought some fresh chicken breast as a back up plan and decided to cast the chicken up against a bridge pylon and drifted a little and then all of a sudden a monster hit. I had no idea what it was, i just new it was very large compared to my usual hook ups.

After a fairly good fight i finally got it to the surface and the first thing i saw was the massive head of a bream breaking the surface. After nervously getting the Bream into the yak i quickly got the camera to take a few picks and a quick measurement before releasing it. It measured 40cm, a PB for me by 2cm. Apparently a bream this size is approx. 20 years old.

Cannot wait to give the Cooks River another go. Also caught a 41cm flathead.

If anyone can give us some feed back on the Cooks River and some spots to try it would be much appreciated. And yes i know you cant eat the fish in the Cooks River for me its all about catch and release.

post-13248-042537800 1286364373_thumb.gif

post-13248-010438900 1286364612_thumb.gif

post-13248-067528100 1286364703_thumb.gif

Well done, bet the bream fought well. I've always wanted to take the Captin out over on that side of town as i know theirs a few good species for catch and release, might have to make the effort this season.

great fishing there mate... you should try fishing around the mouth of the cooks where it drains into the bay, you can get some ratty kingies around there in summer...

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you mate

That's a pearler Dozer..well done mate.

Welcome to the forum!

Some nice jewies in the system too...yeah i spoke to the tumra when i caught up with him last time he said the mouth of the river is hectic.

Edited by Aloosh

Hey Dozer,

I was on a train and saw you fishing.

You were not the only one fishing that spot this week.

I have seen several other boats (one at a time) each morning and I think one in the evening.

Some mates of mine who fish SP's have caught many decent jewies in there.

Although these people are a big fish eaters, all cooks river fish are strictly C'n'R.

That's a thumper of a bream you got there.

Try burleying up the pylons and casting either bait or SP's into the trail at the base of the pylons.

Get some chook pellets and put them into a burley cage over the side.

The tide will soften them and they'll trickle out bit by bit towards the pylons.

Bet you have a bit more action !

Tony

Im relative new to fishing and yak fishing of course. This is my first post as i finally have something worth posting.

Went to the Cooks River for the first time under a bridge near Tempe Train Station early Monday. I was fishing the first couple of hours of the run out tide. I tried flicking some soft plastics with no luck at all. Thankfully i brought some fresh chicken breast as a back up plan and decided to cast the chicken up against a bridge pylon and drifted a little and then all of a sudden a monster hit. I had no idea what it was, i just new it was very large compared to my usual hook ups.

After a fairly good fight i finally got it to the surface and the first thing i saw was the massive head of a bream breaking the surface. After nervously getting the Bream into the yak i quickly got the camera to take a few picks and a quick measurement before releasing it. It measured 40cm, a PB for me by 2cm. Apparently a bream this size is approx. 20 years old.

Cannot wait to give the Cooks River another go. Also caught a 41cm flathead.

If anyone can give us some feed back on the Cooks River and some spots to try it would be much appreciated. And yes i know you cant eat the fish in the Cooks River for me its all about catch and release.

well done