Help To Catch Yakkas And Slimies

vitaminsea

Mate make yourself up a berly consisting of bread and tuna oil add abit of sand and water and throw a hand full into the area you are fishing.

You do not want to overfeed the fish just put enough in every now and then to keep them interested.

The most important thing I can tell you is p iss the rods off and fish with a hand line when catching bait and learning to fish.

The hand line allows you to feel more of the bite and will teach you when to strike.

Use a very small pae sinker if you have to or if conditions allow use no sinker at all.

With the hand line - pull line off the reel enough to cast say 4-5 metres and sit the hand reel under your feet and just fish with the line.

Let the line fall at your feet when you pull in and throw the line back out. Use small pieces of bait and a smallish hook.

The best places to catch live bait are the many wharves around the city

Edited by twin1

What twin said. Couldn't have put it better myself. Highly recommend avoiding any sinker if you can. The small bait gently drifting down in the water will increase your chances of catching yakka, slimey's.

If you are getting too many yakka and you want to get a few more slimey increase the hook size.

Edited by wttmrwolf

G'day mate, when I fished for live bung at Rose Bay we caught them on the North side of shark island (boat) and in front of the drain that comes into the bay from the golf course.(land based) The best method I have found is to berly them up with bread crumbs and then use Sabiki rigs. Size no 4 & 6. You will catch up to 3 or 4 at a time when their in a feeding frenzy. Don't over do the bread crumbs as you don't want to fill them you only want them to stick around to see whats on offering. If you find that they are not biting the Sabiki enought try putting a little tuna oil on the hooks or a pin head size piece of prawn on every second hook. Make sure you use a light hand line and not a rod or you will not feel them and you will more likely than not pull the hooks out of their soft mouths. The trick is to pull your line in with a constant steady pressure letting the line fall at your feet, then simply hold them over your bucket and give them a shake and they will drop into your bucket. It's important not to handle them until you are ready to pin them onto your rig. When putting them onto the rig use a damp soft cloth to minimise any damage to the fish. Not handling bait fish with your bare hands will increase their usefulness 100%.

Regards Jeff

G'day mate, when I fished for live bung at Rose Bay we caught them on the North side of shark island (boat) and in front of the drain that comes into the bay from the golf course.(land based) The best method I have found is to berly them up with bread crumbs and then use Sabiki rigs. Size no 4 & 6. You will catch up to 3 or 4 at a time when their in a feeding frenzy. Don't over do the bread crumbs as you don't want to fill them you only want them to stick around to see whats on offering. If you find that they are not biting the Sabiki enought try putting a little tuna oil on the hooks or a pin head size piece of prawn on every second hook. Make sure you use a light hand line and not a rod or you will not feel them and you will more likely than not pull the hooks out of their soft mouths. The trick is to pull your line in with a constant steady pressure letting the line fall at your feet, then simply hold them over your bucket and give them a shake and they will drop into your bucket. It's important not to handle them until you are ready to pin them onto your rig. When putting them onto the rig use a damp soft cloth to minimise any damage to the fish. Not handling bait fish with your bare hands will increase their usefulness 100%.

Regards Jeff

Very many thanks guys. Will give all the advice a shot tomorrow morning wp!

I'm based out of Rose Bay and a complete novice to live baiting. Where are the best places in / around Rose Bay to find live baiting and what's the best method for landing them ? All advice greatly appreciated. Thx

plenty off yellowtail at greenwich wharf , use chicken breast with parmessan cheese

plenty off yellowtail at greenwich wharf , use chicken breast with parmessan cheese

Thanks to everyone. 12 in just over an hour. Sabiki jigs on a hand line with pilchard seemed the go.

Then I went round the heads and the swell was horrible .......

If fishing from a boat in slightly deeper water (e.g. at the pillboxes on west head in Pittwater), I prefer to use a small kid's rod and light line. The kids' rod is light enough to feel the nibbles and not rip out hooks, but avoids meters of light line getting tangled around everything in the tinnie each time I pull one (or two) up. You just have to wind in quickly!

Fish outta water and narrabeen bait and tackle both have good quality kids rods for about $20 that have lasted me 2 years so far.

The same rods are also good for squid, so I try to have a squid jig ready in case I get any showing up in the burley.

Also, I prefer no-name wheat bix as burley - it works well and is really easy to store and carry in the tinnie. For yakkas etc, you've got to crush it up well, otherwise the bits are too big.