Crabs Near Spencer

BreamChaser

G'day All

Heading up to a place near Spencer for the weekend soon and was wondering if anyone knew of any spots near there where it might be worth dropping some crab pots?

Anyone been for a fish up there lately with any success?

Also anyone know if there is anywhere there where i might be able to pump some nippers?

Cheers

Edited by BreamChaser

Hey mate,

I occassionally stay at a place at bar point which is a bit lower in the river but not much. There are plenty of bream, Whiting and flatties aswell as small tailor and flounder. With the crab pots i'd drop one near the bend in the river before the turn into spencer.

post-14949-003346800 1286862454_thumb.jpg Sorry the pictures pretty small

Say you are headiing up river towards spencer and just before the river takes a sharp left there is a mangrove point. Should be plenty of crabs there if there on.

Also down at milson island there are heeps of blue swimmers. Caught a few in WINTER while using hand lines. Milson is also a great spot for a fish with plenty of bream,whiting,tailor and flatties from what iv,e experienced. Off the north eastern point of milson island there is a sandy drop off with plenty of big fish around.

good luck

Edited by mack attack 79

Hey mate,

I occassionally stay at a place at bar point which is a bit lower in the river but not much. There are plenty of bream, Whiting and flatties aswell as small tailor and flounder. With the crab pots i'd drop one near the bend in the river before the turn into spencer.

post-14949-003346800 1286862454_thumb.jpg Sorry the pictures pretty small

Say you are headiing up river towards spencer and just before the river takes a sharp left there is a mangrove point. Should be plenty of crabs there if there on.

Also down at milson island there are heeps of blue swimmers. Caught a few in WINTER while using hand lines. Milson is also a great spot for a fish with plenty of bream,whiting,tailor and flatties from what iv,e experienced. Off the north eastern point of milson island there is a sandy drop off with plenty of big fish around.

good luck

Thanks Mack

Do you mean the mangroves on the left as you head around that bend?

Either...

Have a few pots at home and figured while we were there we would through some out if it seemed worth it....

Any experience up that way Phil?

Cheers

Hi Breamchaser,

Sorry, I'm a newbie in boating and just bought my first own boat last tuesday. I haven't been in hawksbury river before. But i'm also interested in crab catching as well especially with mud crab. I will try the area maybe sometime next week. Just wondering which boat ramp is the nearest. Mooney Mooney?

Regards,

Phil

There are crabs in the area but keep your eye on them as it's one of the worst places for crab snatchers. Fishing is good around there for bream and school jew's with the odd big one getting caught at night. Heading down river from Spencer you will pass Mangrove creek ( good bream and Flathead on falling tide. Watch for shallows as a lot of boats get high and dry) you will notice a high cliff on your left, at the start of the cliff face there is a post with a car parking area, fish about 10meters out from there for bream and Jews. There is some sand there as well and the odd Flathead comes in. If you drift along the face of the cliff 1/2hr before and 1/2 hour after the tide changes you will get good bream. Lots of snags when drifting but worth the effort when the bream are on. Beach worms are a killer for the bream, but peeled fresh Hawkesbury prawns do a good job.

Regards Jeff

There are crabs in the area but keep your eye on them as it's one of the worst places for crab snatchers. Fishing is good around there for bream and school jew's with the odd big one getting caught at night. Heading down river from Spencer you will pass Mangrove creek ( good bream and Flathead on falling tide. Watch for shallows as a lot of boats get high and dry) you will notice a high cliff on your left, at the start of the cliff face there is a post with a car parking area, fish about 10meters out from there for bream and Jews. There is some sand there as well and the odd Flathead comes in. If you drift along the face of the cliff 1/2hr before and 1/2 hour after the tide changes you will get good bream. Lots of snags when drifting but worth the effort when the bream are on. Beach worms are a killer for the bream, but peeled fresh Hawkesbury prawns do a good job.

Regards Jeff

Cheers Jeff

That post where the car park is, is that the little rock jetty before you get to the caravan park on the left?