Purchasing An Unregistered Boat & Trailer

Maiders

Hi all - can you drive home an unregistered boat and trailer after purchasing it or am I potentially asking for trouble? Don't really want to get in trouble with the cops or land myself an unnecessary fine!

(I haven't purchased an unregistered boat but just wondering what the score would be as one that I am looking at this weekend has just run out of rego...)

unregistered trailer on the road is asking for demerits and surgical removal of the wallet contents. you can get a permit from the RTA i think, but if the seller gets them registered, then you know it's roadworthy, and not shonky. CYA at all times.Johnno

unregistered trailer on the road is asking for demerits and surgical removal of the wallet contents. you can get a permit from the RTA i think, but if the seller gets them registered, then you know it's roadworthy, and not shonky. CYA at all times.Johnno

Hmmmm.... not so sure that registering the trailer necessarily means that it is roadworthy... If the Boat and trailer weigh less than 750kgs then an RTA inspection is not required so payment of the rego doesn't mean its road worthy. If the boat and trailer weigh more than 750kgs then it must have brakes and must be inspected before registering it.

I would also make sure that the boat has been boat coded (especially if its an older boat) You'll find it difficult to transfer the title and register the boat if it hasn't been boat coded.

Oh also a good idea to do a REVS check on the boat and trailer. Aslo good idea to ask the seller to sign a letter (that you prepare) saying that he is the legal owner of the boat (put in description of the boat eg 4.2 m stessl runabout rego ABC 123 with 50 hp mercury motor serial number 123456789) and that he is selling the boat to you for $XXXX on 16/10/2010. Might save you a lot of heartache in the future ;) .

Steve

Thanks - really helpful advice. I think the best bet would be as suggested get him to register both then get it transferred over. Saves a lot of grief and potential hassle! I will get a revs check done as well. Will Google it now to see if I can do it online?

Guest Aussie007

if the trailer has been out of rego for longer than 3 months no matter the weight its needs a blue slip to confirm the trailer is in road worthy condition and to identify the serial number as someone else said do a REVS check before buying www.revs.nsw.gov.au its free and it will tell u if the trailer is still registered i had this problem bought a trailer off a guy who got it off another guy without transfering the rego into hes name i went to the RTA showed my receipt they said legally i do not own the trailer i needed paper work from the original registered owner saying they had sold it to me RTA wouldnt do anything about it i had to resell the trailer i had no way of transfering it into my name so be careful so when doing a REVS check enter the trailer serial number leaving the trailer rego number plate section blank and tick "unregistered" if this comes up "mismatch with RTA" that trailer is still registered if the trailer is unregistered all u need is a receipt from the person selling it to you and a blue slip plus some cash to pay the registration fee

Guest Aussie007

To get it home if you are unshore it will make it just hire a car trailer from most garages or hire places and place it on it and tow home on that then sort out the bearing ect problams...

good point kennads hire hires out car trailers for $144 for 24 hours the fine for towing a unregistred trailer would be a lot more $$$

All good info here so far.

I certainly agree that getting the existing owner sort out the regos for you will make it a lot easier for you.

Slightly off topic, there is a (new?) feature on the RTA website for free rego checks and also $18 Vehicle History checks. This is somewhat seperate to the REVs websites.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/myrta/freeregocheck.html

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/myrta/vehiclehistory.html

cheers

Rod