Help With Port Stephens

bc560kk

Hi Raiders,

Heading up to Port Stephens in a couple of weeks for a long weekend. Have never fished there before. looking for suggestions on where to go. Will be taking my Barcrucher 560 so will have access to offshore fishing. Will have some non-fishos' with me so looking to target Kings, snapper, flathead etc.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

J

Hey mate,

Where abouts in Port Stephens are you.

If i were you i would fish onshore aswell near Jimmy's Beach for flatties,bream and whiting.

Myall river for bream, whiting,flathead,tailor and jewfish too name a few. If you are on the south side then Nelson Bay break wall is great for jewies and bream.

Offshore Broughton Island is the go. If you can get yourself a labeled map then try a few of these spots.

Cod Rock: Mulloway and Kingfish on fresh or live bait.

Coal Shaft Bay: usually a calm water bay with Flathead, Whiting, Snapper and a few kingfish around.

North Rock: Snapper and Kingfish with a few bream and drummer present at times around the washes.

Other offshore reefs from Port Stephens that are good are:

Outer Boulders: Kingfish and Snapper.

Tommy's: Mixed Reef fish eg: Snapper, teraglin, silver trevally and Morwong.

The Sisters: Snapper, Bream, Tailor and Tarwhine near broughton.

Once you tell me where you are based i can give u a heep more info. especially onshore.

Hey mate,

Where abouts in Port Stephens are you.

If i were you i would fish onshore aswell near Jimmy's Beach for flatties,bream and whiting.

Myall river for bream, whiting,flathead,tailor and jewfish too name a few. If you are on the south side then Nelson Bay break wall is great for jewies and bream.

Offshore Broughton Island is the go. If you can get yourself a labeled map then try a few of these spots.

Cod Rock: Mulloway and Kingfish on fresh or live bait.

Coal Shaft Bay: usually a calm water bay with Flathead, Whiting, Snapper and a few kingfish around.

North Rock: Snapper and Kingfish with a few bream and drummer present at times around the washes.

Other offshore reefs from Port Stephens that are good are:

Outer Boulders: Kingfish and Snapper.

Tommy's: Mixed Reef fish eg: Snapper, teraglin, silver trevally and Morwong.

The Sisters: Snapper, Bream, Tailor and Tarwhine near broughton.

Once you tell me where you are based i can give u a heep more info. especially onshore.

Thanks Mate ,

We are staying in Anna Bay. Appreciate your help.

J

Thanks Mate ,

We are staying in Anna Bay. Appreciate your help.

J

That's near Shoal Bay but just facing the ocean isn't it.

Definitely give Broughton Island a go.

Hopefully your report will be mostly positive as i'm goin up in January for a Week in Hawkesnest.

Hi mate,

I fish Port Stephen's once every year at the trailer boat fishing tournament and see plenty of great fish come in and get plenty of advice and tips from the anglers there.

If your heading offshore the spots mack attack 79 has told you are definitly worth a try and should produce some nice snapper at this time of year.

But if the weather is not the best you can still catch plenty of big fish inside aswell.

Try for some squid in shoal bay or yakkas/slimies/tailor at the wreck in salamander bay and fish them along the rock wall at the fish co op. This can produce longtail tuna, kingies, bonnies and if your lucky a jew.

Good Luck,

Prawn Star

If your launching at Little Beoch (Shoal Bay) read the council signs in the staging area regarding launch & retreival.

A lot of PS inc part of Little Beach + off shore is a sanctuary zoned.

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/pdf/psglmp-zoning-plan-hi-res.pdf

Maps should be available from the tackle stores

Geoff

Yes, That's a very good point.

Quite alot of areas near broughton island are sanctuary zones but Where they arent the fishing is still fantastic.

good luck.

My brother and I sometimes drift back in through the heads with our left over livies. Just drag them along the bottom.

Time for a beer, and a look at the scenery. until you hook up on a hammer head or big flatty. Then the noise from the screaming reel takes all the tranquility away.

Enjoy.