Casting Further

JET01

After reading about a 40-45 fish session in Botany Bay in another thread, I'm pretty frustrated.

I fished in the same water on friday and only managed a few pike.

We could see heaps of bream in the weed beds but they just wouldn't take anything.

we were in about 3m of water, but it was pretty clear, so i'm convinced they could see us and were getting spooked.

I'm running a 2-4kg Trion, 6lb fireline on a stradic 2500, i had a 1/8 jig head with a smaller hook on it, can't remember the size.

I've been thinking about getting a 1-3kg Trion and some lighter braid. Would that help me cast further? I reckon i need about another 2-3m casting distance.

Would getting Straic 1000 help with casting distance? Sorry about all the questions, still new at all this.

:beersmile:

After reading about a 40-45 fish session in Botany Bay in another thread, I'm pretty frustrated.

We could see heaps of bream in the weed beds but they just wouldn't take anything.

we were in about 3m of water, but it was pretty clear, so i'm convinced they could see us and were getting spooked.

I'm running a 2-4kg Trion, 6lb fireline on a stradic 2500, i had a 1/8 jig head with a smaller hook on it, can't remember the size.

I've been thinking about getting a 1-3kg Trion and some lighter braid. Would that help me cast further? I reckon i need about another 2-3m casting distance.

Would getting Straic 1000 help with casting distance? Sorry about all the questions, still new at all this.

Hey mate you might be talking about my post :)

Anyways i dont always think its always about casting further, many other things come into it like jig head weight, leader length ect ect

But to help casting further lighter line and leader will help, the type of leader knot will help and using the wind to your advantage will help too as well as practice

More aerodynamic plastics that dont flop around and create drag in the wind will cast further too say i can cast a 80mm wriggler further than a 75mm squidgy fish and the fish would have to weigh twice as much as the wriggler

With reels a smaller one might help but i havnt noticed a massive difference when i went from the same stradic 2500 you use to the smaller 1000's im using now

On the day i was using 1/12, 2 g and 1.5 g jig heads 1-4kg rod 1000 reel 3lb fireline and 3lb leader which was between 8-12 ft long

Hope that helps a little let me know when you go out on a friday next and ill come say hi

Pete

hello, if you can see the bream on the weed beds you should be trying a hardbody.

your setup sounds fine just keep casting and slways try with the wind behind you.

and how old is your braid? it takes a while to loosen up and when it does it casts heaps better..

also got trions love em..good luck:1fishing1:

Thanks for the replies.

I did try a hard body on Friday, but I'm not very experienced with them so there's a good chance i'm not working the lure properly.

My braid isn't new, so i doubt it would the line.

I might try putting 4lb braid on and see how that goes. Been keen on trying some FINS braid as my mate has some on his rod and it feels a little different. Will load up my new spool with that and use it when I'm bream fishing.

Still thinking about getting super light set up for bream fishing now that it's getting warmer. Something along the lines of a 7ft 1-3kg trion, Stradic CI4 1000 loaded with 4lb braid, specifically for bream fishing.

But then got thinking... the Stradic CI4 2500 (200g) weighs 10grams less than the Stradic FI 1000 (210). So after reading in another post that a general rule of thumb is 1-3kg goes with 1000, and 2-4kg goes with 2500, will i be able to find a rod that will balance up with a 1000 Stradic Ci4? With the weight difference being so dramatic, I'd (in theory) be able to use my Ci4 2500 on a 1-3kg Trion and it would balance up nicely...

Too many options, this tackle bug has really bitten me...

In the mean time I'll have to operate on the following principle....

"When in doubt, just forget about it all and go fishing!"

Without seeing your set up I would say the two biggest factors holding you back in fishing that ares would be the 6pnd fireline and the 1/8 jig head. There are certainly braids that will allow you to cast further i use castaway and berkely crystal in 2pnd, on thoose flats with 3 or 4pnd leader. The better casting and thinner braid will allow u to fish lighter jigheads and get more bites. I recently bought a Trion rod and was impressed, great value.

Hope this helps Dave.

I have been going through the same thing mainly to get the extra distance casting pencils on the flats.

Guess its the old adage length is everything.But it does help in clear shalllow water when its easy to spook

the fish.

I have bought a few 1 to 3kg rods in the 7"6 range and have basically the same reels as you.But try dropping down

to 4lb line and using 4lb leader.

If your out in the open there is little chance of getting bricked.All you have to do is use a light drag and have

a bit of patience.Just play the fish and he will tire let the rod and reel do the work.

Hope this helps as i am still experimenting.And give the pencils ago its the best.

cheers............Roy

What works for me: 1-3kg rod with 1000 size reel with Sunline Super PE in 6lb, with 4-8lb FC leader (rod length) tied with a bimni twist and an albright.

Mate your next post will be for advise on how to avoid over casting into trees... I flick around very light plastics and micro vibes with minimal fuss. Fireline is harder to cast but very strong.

Mick

Thanks for the tips boys.

I was going to mention that the 6lb fireline i have is actually crystal, but i doubt it would make much difference.

Mik01 just moved in, so i'm going through the process of selling my 2 and 3 seater lounges... As soon as they're sold i'll use the proceeds to fund more fishing gear on the sly ;):wife:

I'm really impressed with the 2-4kg trion, so will try:

1-3kg 7ft trion

Stradic CI4 2500 and 2lb Fireline Crystal.

Don't think i'm going to bother with the 1000, as the 2500 is so light it will feel the same as a much smaller reel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a 7'6 1-3kg rod that's similar value for money to the Trion's, I've got a 722 Starlo stix 2-4kg but don't like the length of the cork handle. I like the handle on the trion because it's all cork. I don't see the point in the cork handles if you've got a hand full of plastic reel guide while fishing... Seriously who designs this s#@t?

i think you have the right idea going with a lighter line, it makes a huge difference, it will be a struggle this summer going back to the heavier line around the racks, especially after being so used to the light stuff, but my pocket will thank me...

Thanks for the tips boys.

I was going to mention that the 6lb fireline i have is actually crystal, but i doubt it would make much difference.

Mik01 just moved in, so i'm going through the process of selling my 2 and 3 seater lounges... As soon as they're sold i'll use the proceeds to fund more fishing gear on the sly ;):wife:

I'm really impressed with the 2-4kg trion, so will try:

1-3kg 7ft trion

Stradic CI4 2500 and 2lb Fireline Crystal.

Don't think i'm going to bother with the 1000, as the 2500 is so light it will feel the same as a much smaller reel.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a 7'6 1-3kg rod that's similar value for money to the Trion's, I've got a 722 Starlo stix 2-4kg but don't like the length of the cork handle. I like the handle on the trion because it's all cork. I don't see the point in the cork handles if you've got a hand full of plastic reel guide while fishing... Seriously who designs this s#@t?

Do a web search on pendulum casting. This technique is very effective for casting light weights far. I regularly fish jigheads as light as 1/32 and am able to get it out my lures a good distance.

You might also want to try a PE braid like TD Sensor or Castaway I find that these lines cast a lot further then when i fish with gelspun lines

Have a look at the shimano jewel.I have the 7"6 in the 1 to 3kg.Not to bad for the price.If you can afford

a few bucks more the lox also do same length and weight.Not sure but i think there is a trion in the 7"6

range but may take a bit of tracking down.

cheers.....Roy

i went and had a look at the the lox range at my local fishing store this arvo on the way home. they had a 1-3kg rod there, but i couldn't find the length on it, it only looked around 7ft. Didn't like the handle. I've mentioned it before but i really enjoy rods that are comfortable to hold while fishing. Something that i find absolutely outstanding about my Pflueger Trion.

I checked out the shimano Jewel 762 1-4kg and although i've never been drawn to EVA grips, i'd give this one a shot, might not have been the most expensive rod on the rack but looked like it would do the job well.

Didn't mind the handle on the Raider II rods either. I really liked the handle on the old t-curve flight 1-4 662. I know there's alot more to fishing rods than a comfy handle, but there's no way i'm going to spend money on something that i'm not going to enjoy fishing with.

Think i'll try going with lighter braid on a spare spool first before i start changing around all my tackle just for a couple of metres of extra casting length.

Note to all fishraiders... Don't encourage your significant other to join fishraider... As you can see from the above post ^^^^^^^ it will leave you open to copping grief on the internet as well as at home... :ranting2:

:1fishing1::beersmile:

:wife::wife:

:Funny-Post:

:074: