Woolooware Bay 23/10/10

mako1

I hadn’t been out on the yak for quite a while so I decided to take it out on Woolooware Bay yesterday.

I launched at about 6 am and decided to troll around as it was a bit windy and I was waiting for the tide to rise before I hit the flats at the back of the bay.

I had purchased two Rapala XR4 lures from Global Tackle earlier in the week and I was keen to give them a go.

As I passed the first lease the ghost Rapala gets hit really hard and there was no stopping this big bream. In one powerful run it reached the lease, the trace parted and it took my new lure home :1badmood:

I kept trolling and picked up a few small flatties but as I passed another lease my other XR4 gets hit and after a good fight a nice bream was in the net.

post-2229-035995200 1287921365_thumb.jpg

I continued trolling towards the flats and picked up another keeper bream.

I trolled across the flats and picked up lots of flathead ranging from 33-43cm. I kept two of the bigger ones to take home with the bream.

The wind began to drop off so I went for one more troll across the flats.

I had a great hit and this bream fought really well, taking long runs across the flats. I worked it back to the yak and after a few more dives it was in the net.

post-2229-000902100 1287921377_thumb.jpg

Since the wind had calmed I grabbed the poppers and pencils and worked them across the flats.

After fishing with them for about 45mins I got plenty of swirls and nudges but no hook-ups.

I don’t think it will be too much longer before they will be jumping all over the surface lures.

Next the blades came out and I picked up a few small bream and flatties. I missed two better hits and I had a nice flattie, around the 60-70cm mark, follow the blade up and at the last minute it inhaled the blade and I struck but the blade came straight back out. I couldn’t believe the hook points missed the mark.

I made my way to the moored boats and picked up another keeper bream. I also hooked a big trevally but lost it next to the yak.

The weather started to deteriorate so I made my way back to the car, just in time before the rain hit.

post-2229-001925400 1287921386_thumb.jpg

Mako, finally managed to get your kayak out again! Sorry about your lure loss but looks like you still managed quite a haul. Those Rapalas seem to work well eh?

Contemplated going to WB as well but was having too much fun at Kurnell ...

Great report again Makothumbup.gif

Good to see you're still nailing them from the Bay.

Sorry to hear about the lost lure and fish but I guess that's why we love this type of fishing and why the tackle stores are always happy when we walk through the doors.

beersmile.gifBrad

Great little session mate, going off the last few posts sounds like the bay and surrounds are starting to pick up nicely.

Should be in for a great summer!!!!

Mick

The fish have definitely moved back in are ready for a feed.

We have had some good rain so it should be a top prawn season which means it should be a cracking summer for surface fishing.

Mako, finally managed to get your kayak out again! Sorry about your lure loss but looks like you still managed quite a haul. Those Rapalas seem to work well eh?

Contemplated going to WB as well but was having too much fun at Kurnell ...

It was good to get back out on the yak.

The XR4s do work well. I think I will experiment with one and change the split rings and put some singles on it to make it a slow riser. I think changing to smaller split rings and singles will also give it a bit more action.

Will have to try and see how it goes.

Nice fish there Mako, some really nice bream! and the surface swirls are even getting me excited.... i cant wait for summer!!!!

Shouldn't be too much longer before they are smashing the poppers. One of the bream had a small prawn in its gut so they are starting to feed on them.

Great report again Makothumbup.gif

Good to see you're still nailing them from the Bay.

Sorry to hear about the lost lure and fish but I guess that's why we love this type of fishing and why the tackle stores are always happy when we walk through the doors.

beersmile.gifBrad

I was back at Global tackle yesterday to pick up a replaement XR4, so I'm ready for the next bream battle. The result will probably mean another trip back to Global tackle for more lures :biggrin2:

Mako - it is always a good sign for WB fishing when your yak re-appears in the Bay :biggrin2: .

I had the same experience with the surface lures in WB a couple of weeks ago with a number of half hearted strikes and follows....unfortunately the weekend weather does not look good for WB surface fishing.

Another busy session on the water Andrew! bad luck about the flattie, but there'll be others. When you're trolling, do you do anything to changes the action of the lure (moderate speed or impart different tip action) or do you paddle along and let the lure do it's thing? Keep the reports coming mate :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

Another busy session on the water Andrew! bad luck about the flattie, but there'll be others. When you're trolling, do you do anything to changes the action of the lure (moderate speed or impart different tip action) or do you paddle along and let the lure do it's thing? Keep the reports coming mate :thumbup:

Cheers

Ian

I try to use the yak as much as possible to impart action on the lure.

When trolling from the yak I will troll two lures out of rod holders jutting out from the yak.

As I troll along every so often I will do slight turns from left to right which will accelerate one lure while the other

slows down and if there is a bit of chop the yak will bounce around a bit which tends to twitch the lure a bit.

When I troll around the moored boats I tend to pause the lure as it enters the strike zone next to the boat by turning the

yak towards the boat and then I will turn the yak away from the boat which accelerates the lure. Most of the time the lure gets hit during the pause or just after I accelerate the lure.

Towards the back of the bay there are a few areas about 1m deep on a high tide with thick clumps of weed.

I wait until the tide begins to drop and put two pink lures on and troll them through the thick weed.

When the lure hits the weed the rod loads up and then when the lures comes out of the weed it accelerates really quickly

and the pink colour combined with a rattle and acceleration proves too irresistible to any bream in the vicinity.

It can be annoying when the weed sticks to the lure but I have caught some nice bream trolling through the weed.

The bream in the second pick is the result of trolling through the thick weed.