Kingfish Setup

bcooper21003

Hi Guys,

I wonder if one of you can help me with a couple of questions. [ive read so much of this info on the site now, which is very helpful, thanks]

So I have a Shimano Tekota 700, which is rated at 11kg drag (I have ordered Carbontex Washers :biggrin2:)

Reading the web, i guess this is good for 44kg mono, or maybe 35-40kg braid, i.e. using the 4 times rule for the mon, and the 4 times less a bit for the braid.

Also from the web, i read i should match this with a rod rated at 44kg if i was using mono, or say 40kg on braid. But where do you get a rod rated at 40kg? Even if you assume the rod is good for 20% more than the rating, it would have to be 33kg

So Q1: If I really want to rig up with 80lb braid (which some of you reccomend), what sort of rod rating do you guys reccomend. Note: Catching a kingfish in the harbour with this setup is the idea.

Q2: I currently have the reel spooled with a base of 50lb mono and 300m of 30lb braid on a rod rated 8-12kg (Which i fugure is about right). Do you guys really think i need a heavier rig to downrig for Kingfish in the harbour?

Thanks

no, you dont need another setup.

you need 3 things to land the big kings; Setup, Experience and Luck.

you have the setup, you cant change luck, now just go get the experience.

and when the big one comes along, dont just shit yourself and hang on for dear life, start fighting back straight away and get him pointed towards the boat, fish cant swim backwards. also learn to use your boat to help fight the fish and know how close you are to the bottom at all times.

I have never even heard of a 44kg rod, but to let you know there are plenty of raiders who will be fishing with 8kg snapper rods for their kings this summer.

Thanks for the reply David 88

So the 40kg rod is partly my point. What's the point of putting say 80lb line on a rod rated at 25kg (or even lower in the case of some guys), there must be something I'm missing. To the lamen (me) it seems like the rod will either break before the line, or at least the rig won't be well balanced? Can someone help with the logic?

Thanks...

There are rods which can handle 37kg and 60kg be it spinning rods or game or overhead rods.

If you are fishing heavy braid and have the reel to handle such drag pressures ??? go and see Global Tackle and they will show you the rod you will be trying to find.

Regards Stewy.

no, you dont need another setup.

you need 3 things to land the big kings; Setup, Experience and Luck.

you have the setup, you cant change luck, now just go get the experience.

and when the big one comes along, dont just shit yourself and hang on for dear life, start fighting back straight away and get him pointed towards the boat, fish cant swim backwards. also learn to use your boat to help fight the fish and know how close you are to the bottom at all times.

I have never even heard of a 44kg rod, but to let you know there are plenty of raiders who will be fishing with 8kg snapper rods for their kings this summer.

YEP

GREAT ADVICE IN A NUTSHELL

craig