Catching Snappers At The Rocks

suzelle

I've just started fishing and want to know how to fish for snappers

the thing is i don't really have a boat and i heard you only catch them deep sea?

I go rock fishing most of the time though can I catch them from there? can anyone help me with places to catch regularly?

thanks!

You can sometimes catch snapper shore based as long as there's broken bottom close in and you can cast to it. On a regular basis, NO, if there was such a place you wouldn't be able to get within cooee of it.

Regards Jeff

whats cooee of it? and what do you mean by broken bottom?

thank you

Cooee of it means that there would be more fishermen there than you could poke a stick at! Broken ground refers to reef.

Regards Jeff

ohhh ok, if there are such a spot, people would have fished out all of the snappers already.

anyhow... what about bait? i know that if you use cabbage, you target only blackfish. Is there such a bait that targets snapper only? if there is not, what is the most effective method? including burley.

thank you

It's a pretty tough assignment catching snapper from the rocks,it's been a while since I tried however the formula used to be tough bait and 120 gram sinker cast 100m seaward to a sandy or gravel bottom so you don't snag up, then wait and wait and wait................ A good starts to look for deep water and holes drilled into the rock to leave your rod, mind you its hard too tell if the last snapper was caught two weeks or two hundred years ago just looking at a hole drilled in the rock.

It's a pretty tough assignment catching snapper from the rocks,it's been a while since I tried however the formula used to be tough bait and 120 gram sinker cast 100m seaward to a sandy or gravel bottom so you don't snag up, then wait and wait and wait................ A good starts to look for deep water and holes drilled into the rock to leave your rod, mind you its hard too tell if the last snapper was caught two weeks or two hundred years ago just looking at a hole drilled in the rock.

maroubra rocks has quite a few holes drilled. it is a very nice place where the ocean is right infront of you. the problem is the swell and the wind!

problem is the swell and the wind.

if you want to get them on a regualar bais you need to know what your doing and know how to read the water .best fish come with bad conditions ,dont chase them on rocks faciing south in big swells .if you have a 3 meter plus south swell fish a northen head land back out of harms way ,