Toxic Paint In The Bay

achilles

Just thought i would express my absolute dissapointment with what i saw yesterday in Botany Bay.

I have lived and fished this area all my life and am now enjoying its rejuvination.

I live in the area and saw a sailing boat beached at low tide and propped up on the beach. To my suprise the owner decided to scape old

antifowl off the bottom of his boat and repaint it on the sand. Paint scrapings and probably paint splatter have now entered the waterway.

Im not one to stick my nose in but I was so disgusted to see this so i first rang the waterways, waterways then told me to report it to council,

council then told me to report it to waterways.

I gave up so i rang Botany Bay Water Police who were somewhat helpful although they said they too were not the appropriate authority to be speaking to.

Who is reponsible for policing such an issue?

Nothing was done in the end and the boat has now been refloated and a mess left on the beach.

We have so many marinas in the area where you can hire the appropriate equipment to repair your boat without polluting our waterways.

To be honest with you, I think he is allow to do it. I dont agree with it but I know it is common practise in QLD. As far as who is responsible if it is below the Mean High High Water(MHHW) mark its NSW Maritime if its above it the council should be. Maybe try the EPA?

Edited by Whaler 255

To be honest with you, I think he is allow to do it. I dont agree with it but I know it is common practise in QLD. As far as who is responsible if it below the Mean High Water Mark its NSW Maritime if its above it the council should be. Maybe try the EPA?

well council is supposed to act on it and they notify epa if required, you can also go directly to epa but council rangers should've checked it out. It's like alcohol free zones that council is supposed to enforce but never do so, love paying my rates and taxes haha.

well council is supposed to act on it and they notify epa if required, you can also go directly to epa but council rangers should've checked it out. It's like alcohol free zones that council is supposed to enforce but never do so, love paying my rates and taxes haha.

Just another case of passing the buck by the authorities. As far as I thought councils cant enforce alcohol free zones, they just create them and the Police enforce them. They dont have the power or appointments to seize and pour out grog and issue the fines for it.

Just another case of passing the buck by the authorities. As far as I thought councils cant enforce alcohol free zones, they just create them and the Police enforce them. They dont have the power or appointments to seize and pour out grog and issue the fines for it.

council rangers can enforce alcohol free zones, they are special constables.

And as the boat was being done on a beach the rangers can also enforce council laws, they fine people for offences on other beaches for other petty things.

EPA would have acted as it is poluting the waterway. They look for any excuse to impose a fine. This would not have been an excuse though as would have been legit reason, however i think he would of got away with a stern warning for first offence.

go down to any slip where they do anti fouling. They sand it of and paint it back on, no other way to do it. I do mine on the trailer on the street, then splash her 1 day later. I find that anti foul only lasts for 8-9 months.

Non issue really as old anti foul no longer works though at the same time it certainly isnt natural.

council rangers can enforce alcohol free zones, they are special constables.

And as the boat was being done on a beach the rangers can also enforce council laws, they fine people for offences on other beaches for other petty things.

Haven't herd of them before. I'd be very suprised if they are aloud to seize things as far as I know only the police have the powers to do so. Something ill ask the significant other.

Yeah they like to fine people for playing cricket and footy on the beaches these days and some have started issuing fines for kids building sand castles...........??? but it all must be above the mean high high water mark.

go down to any slip where they do anti fouling. They sand it of and paint it back on, no other way to do it. I do mine on the trailer on the street, then splash her 1 day later. I find that anti foul only lasts for 8-9 months.

Non issue really as old anti foul no longer works though at the same time it certainly isnt natural.

What type of antifoul do you use? We get 5 years out of the anitfoul on the ships that I am on and approx 18-24 months on the smaller boats that I use to work on with a bum scrub around the 12 month mark because they dont move as much as the bigger ships.

Edited by Whaler 255

What type of antifoul do you use? We get 5 years out of the anitfoul on the ships that I am on and approx 18-24 months on the smaller boats that I use to work on with a bum scrub around the 12 month mark because they do move as much as the bigger ships.

Cheap international from whitworths. What do you recomend. Also only do 1 coat as i am cheap know i should do 2.

Cheap international from whitworths. What do you recomend. Also only do 1 coat as i am cheap know i should do 2.

I have always used International, but the company pays for it so its usually the good stuff, but a minimum of 2 coats. On my own boats I give it as many coats as possible (upto 4 if I have the paint) as most antifouling is self polishing so it when it the first coat breaks down and dissappears you got nothing left execpt for the barrier coat.

Hey guys,

I was under the impression that modern day antifoul chemicals are not harmful.

In the old days when they used to use tri-butyl tin, it was really toxic - which is why they banned it...

Still, leaving a mess like that on the beach just gives the boating industry a bad image, if nothing else...

Tony

Hey Keflapod.

Spot on.

Yes tributyltin was banned for all vessels less than 33m from memory (length may have changed now).

Yes it was really evil stuff hence the early ban some 20 years ago.

If any FR want the specifics of why please ask and will post why.

Most of the stuff now is not too bad, but by its nature is still not good.

Ie it is designed to chemically inhibit the growth of marine organisms by being toxic to them.

The good thing about the modern stuff is it doesn't hang around like Tri did.

None the less, not good form on the boat owners part considering you can be fined for throwing a cigarette butt out.

Oh and yes it is a EPA matter to act on, Council is also required to attend if required and provide report if necessary so that EPA can act.

Above mean high water mark, both authorities can in fact act.

Cheers

Trapper Tom

PS to all. Went down to go for a fish out from kiama on Fri.

Absolutely horrible weather and atrocious washing machine conditions.

Still fighting that damn storm cloud that follows anything fishy I want to do.

The only upside was the schoonerburgers we had instead He He.

Trapper

Just heard a few weeks ago that a few unis are actually trying to develop a totally natural anti foul which is pretty much synthetic shark skin as sharks generally don't grow barnicles unlike many other marine animals such as whales...sorry a bit off topic but found it very interesting and hopefully a taste of the future

Hi Leo,

Very interesting research.

It would have to be a synthetic product that is quite smooth else the drag it would create on the hull might cause performance problems for the boat.

Still, it would be a damn site better than trying to drive the boat with a hull full of barnacles !

So long as the boat, once treated, doesn't try to take a bite out of you..... :biggrin2:

Thanks for that intersting info...

Tony

Edited by Keflapod