Help Me Id This Fish Please

suzelle

Question

keep on catching this fish with my pillies but they seem undersized so always let it go

biggest one i caught was 15cm these get any bigger? there seems to be a lot of them around, what are they?

picture doesn't really show it but they've got a deep blue hue near the upper body and fins

post-16319-061743600 1289110289_thumb.jpg

Edited by bubblefish

7 answers to this question

keep on catching this fish with my pillies but they seem undersized so always let it go

biggest one i caught was 15cm these get any bigger? there seems to be a lot of them around, what are they?

picture doesn't really show it but they've got a deep blue hue near the upper body and fins

Hi there

The fish you have there is call a sweep - i have heard they grow to a good dinner plate size but have never seen one anywhere that big in sydney, all the ones i have caught were 10 -15cm only.

Cheers

dhype

Hi there

The fish you have there is call a sweep - i have heard they grow to a good dinner plate size but have never seen one anywhere that big in sydney, all the ones i have caught were 10 -15cm only.

Cheers

dhype

what do you consider as a good dinner plate size?

They are a pain when I'm fishing up north around Port Macquarie. Usually foul hook them when fishing for snapper. They hit hard but give up the fight pretty quick. Use to catch them at long reef aswell but their not around as much anymore, idk why but it good, less pickers.

Called sweep, because you sweep them off the boat back into the water...Nothing special in eating quality

Just pains in the ass while fishing, pecking your baits off

You'll find that you jag a lot of them in the side of the head instead in the mouth

Called sweep, because you sweep them off the boat back into the water...Nothing special in eating quality

Just pains in the ass while fishing, pecking your baits off

You'll find that you jag a lot of them in the side of the head instead in the mouth

i am interested, it looks like a pretty big fish, why will it jag them in the side of the head instead of the mouth? small mouth?