Damn Outboard

The Iceman

Hit Port Hacking thismorning and the outboard started first go as it always does so motored over to Simpsons bay fished for a bit but the swell was making it hard to stand up so thought may as well go and hit some hulls till the tide got high enough to hit some flats then the outboard decided not to start nothing not a whimper so electriced back to the boatramp got home put it on the muffs and it started though a little rough Job for this afternoon dump fuel(put 10l in thismorning but fuel that was still in it was a bit old) clean plug check fuel filter check carbie and see what happens

Hit Port Hacking thismorning and the outboard started first go as it always does so motored over to Simpsons bay fished for a bit but the swell was making it hard to stand up so thought may as well go and hit some hulls till the tide got high enough to hit some flats then the outboard decided not to start nothing not a whimper so electriced back to the boatramp got home put it on the muffs and it started though a little rough Job for this afternoon dump fuel(put 10l in thismorning but fuel that was still in it was a bit old) clean plug check fuel filter check carbie and see what happens

What a bummer iceman. Electrics/cranking battery ok? Maybe collapsing cell??? Although you did say running rough on the muffs. (oops just noticed the 15Hp bit, so probably no cranking battery :1prop: )

I recently emptied 40L of premium unleaded from my tank. Had been sitting for about 8 weeks. Smelled ok (been told if it smells like varnish, ditch it immediately). I only ever put in 98 octane. Anyway after trying to siphon the fuel out the old fashioned way and getting a stomach/mouth full of fuel, decided to remove the fuel line to the engine and used the priming bulb to pump out the fuel. The stomach of fuel immediately made me vomit, not pretty :puke:

Ended up buying some Sta-Bil, put that in the tank first and filled up with 98 again. Used half a tank recently, so filled it up again yesterday in anticipation of going out this morning.

How was the weather? Forecast was supposed to be winds from the north at 25km/h??

Good luck with removing the fuel, checking the carby and the plugs.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by DarkHorse

Nah no cranking battery :biggrin2:

The old fuel was only about 5l but had been there for quite a while

I reckon it may have sucked up a bit of water from condensation in the fuel tank

Weather was great only a hint of northerly would have come up a bit later on

Guest Aussie007

unplug the fuel hose remove both sections of hose and pour any fuel into a clear container to see if it has turned to jelly ive had this problem before the jelly stuff cant make it up the hose so it sits on the motor side of the primer bulb and u cannot see it unless u drain the hoses

unplug the fuel hose remove both sections of hose and pour any fuel into a clear container to see if it has turned to jelly ive had this problem before the jelly stuff cant make it up the hose so it sits on the motor side of the primer bulb and u cannot see it unless u drain the hoses

The hose between the bulb and motor was a bit long so I cut it shorter and the fuel that came out was ok Note to self dont drop the hose on the floor after you take off the connector to the outboard as the fuel siphons out over the garage floor :wacko:

Edited by The Iceman