Thermals In November?

bassboy888

With the HSC finished for me I :yahoo: couldn't be any more excited to finally get out fishing, therefore regardless of the weather Basscatcher and I were going to go out. So on friday with the winds up around 17knots we decided to flick the upper Georges river, I was focussing on Jewies and Basscatcher for EPs. As we launched the boat we noticed that the river was the colour of chocolate and there was a lot of floating debris in the water.

Starting from just off Sandy Point I started with a 100mm squidgy fish in hope of a jewie in the deeper holes and Basscatcher stuck with a squidgy wriggler casting at bankside snags for bream and EP. The wriggler started getting some hits, so I thought I would toss a new berkley 3B. Despite a number of subtle hits Basscatcher only hooked one small flatty, so we head up to Lamberth Park. We started in the deep hole for a donut and then moved up onto the flat, where I finally got a fish on the new 3B. It was a small flatty but hit the lure hard and got me excited until it did the usual small flatty trick of giving up after its first burst. The next spots we tried were up around East Hills and the M5 bridge. Still in hope of a jew, I continued flicking the 100mm plastic into the deep holes, but got no interest. Meanwhile, Basscatcher landed this nice EP on the wriggler.

post-11518-060440700 1289180525_thumb.jpgpost-11518-080207000 1289180538_thumb.jpg

The tide turned and it was time for a change of spot. It took 2 or 3 casts into some shallower water that got me a just legal bream. We then moved into some deeper water and I changed the 3B for a small flick bait and it wasn't long for us to start getting a few EPs. I got 2 for 2 casts and taps on every other.

post-11518-033445700 1289180596_thumb.jpgpost-11518-028534600 1289180555_thumb.jpgpost-11518-081480100 1289180514_thumb.jpg

All was going well, with both of us getting a few fish until our Minn Kota decided to die.......the auto pilot and the steering were not functioning. This caused us to drift back over the hole we were fishing and spooking the EPs we were targeting. As the wind was blowing against the tide we were being held alright so we attempted stay and fish over that one area a bit more but the EPs were no longer interested, so we powered up to look in the deeper water for Jew. This change of tactic did not work and the fishing was hard, especially with a Minn Kota that could not steer, and it wasn't long until we called it quits.....Basscatcher was a little annoyed that his 11month old Minn Kota was not functioning properly. When we got home he disconnected the Minn Kota to ‘reset’ the system and it began to work properly again – yep why didn’t we think of that in the water. The good news was that we could go out again on Saturday morning.

Saturday had us heading out to Botany Bay trying for some bream, whiting and flatty on surface lures. Despite the marginal weather forecast I was excited to say the least. But as we know all too well the weather was against us. When we arrived at Woolaware Bay at about 5:45am it was glassed over, however the tide was a little higher than we expected. We placed the Minn Kota in the water and motored towards our target oyster rack.....it was good news that the motor was working properly again. As we cast our first surface lures the wind began to increase into a HOWL along with the rain and small white caps, it was ridiculous. Controlling the boat close to structure while casting surface lures became very difficult and we quickly decided to leave. We moved to Towra Point to hide from the worst of the wind. The tide was still running in and it wasn't long before we set up a drift. Half way through the first drift Basscatcher was getting numerous hits on his wriggler and I got a few subtle taps on an MF40. Those taps finally produced me a nice little Trevally, thinking to myself cool this is going to be an awesome spot. Next drift Basscatcher changed to a blade and hooked up - another little Trevor - things were looking promising.

post-11518-012402000 1289180583_thumb.jpgpost-11518-049548900 1289180642_thumb.jpgpost-11518-069598900 1289180451_thumb.jpgpost-11518-052754500 1289180461_thumb.jpgpost-11518-077409600 1289180479_thumb.jpg

As we set up for the next drift the heavens opened up and the tide went slack – one 43cm pike was the tally for the slack tide. We then persisted at Towra for the start of the run out (only place that was out of the worst of the wind) and 5 drifts resulted in us being rained on (although we came prepared with thermals on and decent rain jackets – I know its November!!!!) and catching about five squire. We finally decided to head home, fishing some flats and drop offs on the way to the ramp.....unfortunately the Minn Kota repeated it’s performance from Friday and the auto pilot and steering ceased to work - aaaaaaghhhhhhh.

Not the best results for my first trip in two months, but just happy to get out there again. I just can’t wait until summer picks up and thermals are not necessary!!!!

Basscatcher has dropped off the Minn Kota for a warranty repair and hopefully they don’t take too long rectifying the fault.

Cheers Bassboy

Mate congrats after finishing the HSC....fingers crossed the results go your way and you get into the uni/tafe/job your looking at....Hmmm Uni/tafe would mean more fishing time wouldn't it....

Some very good fish under some testing weather and fishing hardware conditions.... :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm stinging for the surface to fire up too....won't be too long now...

WELL DONE, nice report.... Sounds like a fun session.....

@ blackfishfishing, there are plenty of smelly pike in Botany Bay..... I like the way they attack the lure, but the fight does not complement the initial hit.....

Bassboy,

Congrats on finishing your HSC. Hope you get the results you're aiming for. Can fully understand your anticipation to go fishing again. It's an itch you've gotta scratch right?

Friday and Saturday were quite wet and windy. Sunday was beautiful in the morning before the winds picked up.

Looks like you guys have the EP pattern worked out. One of them seems to have lost the top part of its tail! I've yet to target them in the system - spending too much time off Towra and Kurnell. Pike can be a nuisance sometimes if they're around. Sometimes I'll target them if nothing else is biting - they're not bad eating actually.

Sorry about the Minn Kota - hope that gets fixed soon.

AH HA! so it was you.. :wacko:

I got a call from my mate saying "Theres some nutter fishing in the rain at Kelso.. Keen as mustard!" :074:

Well done mate beats sitting at home at least you got stuck into a few. Good report!

Musty

Congrats on finishing your HSC.

It must have been a great feeling to get back out on the water.

You did well getting those nice fish in tough conditions.

Hopefully the weather will be a bit nicer on your next outing.

....Hmmm Uni/tafe would mean more fishing time wouldn't it....

im hoping so, just got to fix up this canoe trailer and i will be out far more :biggrin2:

Congrats on finishing your HSC. Hope you get the results you're aiming for. Can fully understand your anticipation to go fishing again. It's an itch you've gotta scratch right?

thank pmak, i'm hoping i got it too :biggrin2: and it certainly had to be scratched, im lucky i didnt forget how to cast :1prop:

@musty

its surprisingly not the worst i have fished in.... just a bit keen :wacko:

@mako

cheers mate, it was great being out there again, a bit slow but faaaarrr better than being in an exam or studying

With the HSC finished for me I :yahoo: couldn't be any more excited to finally get out fishing, therefore regardless of the weather Basscatcher and I were going to go out. So on friday with the winds up around 17knots we decided to flick the upper Georges river, I was focussing on Jewies and Basscatcher for EPs. As we launched the boat we noticed that the river was the colour of chocolate and there was a lot of floating debris in the water.

Starting from just off Sandy Point I started with a 100mm squidgy fish in hope of a jewie in the deeper holes and Basscatcher stuck with a squidgy wriggler casting at bankside snags for bream and EP. The wriggler started getting some hits, so I thought I would toss a new berkley 3B. Despite a number of subtle hits Basscatcher only hooked one small flatty, so we head up to Lamberth Park. We started in the deep hole for a donut and then moved up onto the flat, where I finally got a fish on the new 3B. It was a small flatty but hit the lure hard and got me excited until it did the usual small flatty trick of giving up after its first burst. The next spots we tried were up around East Hills and the M5 bridge. Still in hope of a jew, I continued flicking the 100mm plastic into the deep holes, but got no interest. Meanwhile, Basscatcher landed this nice EP on the wriggler.

post-11518-060440700 1289180525_thumb.jpgpost-11518-080207000 1289180538_thumb.jpg

The tide turned and it was time for a change of spot. It took 2 or 3 casts into some shallower water that got me a just legal bream. We then moved into some deeper water and I changed the 3B for a small flick bait and it wasn't long for us to start getting a few EPs. I got 2 for 2 casts and taps on every other.

post-11518-033445700 1289180596_thumb.jpgpost-11518-028534600 1289180555_thumb.jpgpost-11518-081480100 1289180514_thumb.jpg

All was going well, with both of us getting a few fish until our Minn Kota decided to die.......the auto pilot and the steering were not functioning. This caused us to drift back over the hole we were fishing and spooking the EPs we were targeting. As the wind was blowing against the tide we were being held alright so we attempted stay and fish over that one area a bit more but the EPs were no longer interested, so we powered up to look in the deeper water for Jew. This change of tactic did not work and the fishing was hard, especially with a Minn Kota that could not steer, and it wasn't long until we called it quits.....Basscatcher was a little annoyed that his 11month old Minn Kota was not functioning properly. When we got home he disconnected the Minn Kota to ‘reset’ the system and it began to work properly again – yep why didn’t we think of that in the water. The good news was that we could go out again on Saturday morning.

Saturday had us heading out to Botany Bay trying for some bream, whiting and flatty on surface lures. Despite the marginal weather forecast I was excited to say the least. But as we know all too well the weather was against us. When we arrived at Woolaware Bay at about 5:45am it was glassed over, however the tide was a little higher than we expected. We placed the Minn Kota in the water and motored towards our target oyster rack.....it was good news that the motor was working properly again. As we cast our first surface lures the wind began to increase into a HOWL along with the rain and small white caps, it was ridiculous. Controlling the boat close to structure while casting surface lures became very difficult and we quickly decided to leave. We moved to Towra Point to hide from the worst of the wind. The tide was still running in and it wasn't long before we set up a drift. Half way through the first drift Basscatcher was getting numerous hits on his wriggler and I got a few subtle taps on an MF40. Those taps finally produced me a nice little Trevally, thinking to myself cool this is going to be an awesome spot. Next drift Basscatcher changed to a blade and hooked up - another little Trevor - things were looking promising.

post-11518-012402000 1289180583_thumb.jpgpost-11518-049548900 1289180642_thumb.jpgpost-11518-069598900 1289180451_thumb.jpgpost-11518-052754500 1289180461_thumb.jpgpost-11518-077409600 1289180479_thumb.jpg

As we set up for the next drift the heavens opened up and the tide went slack – one 43cm pike was the tally for the slack tide. We then persisted at Towra for the start of the run out (only place that was out of the worst of the wind) and 5 drifts resulted in us being rained on (although we came prepared with thermals on and decent rain jackets – I know its November!!!!) and catching about five squire. We finally decided to head home, fishing some flats and drop offs on the way to the ramp.....unfortunately the Minn Kota repeated it’s performance from Friday and the auto pilot and steering ceased to work - aaaaaaghhhhhhh.

Not the best results for my first trip in two months, but just happy to get out there again. I just can’t wait until summer picks up and thermals are not necessary!!!!

Basscatcher has dropped off the Minn Kota for a warranty repair and hopefully they don’t take too long rectifying the fault.

Cheers Bassboy

The pike looks more like a snook, more common in southern waters than Sydney.

Yowie.

Great effort guys! Good luck with your HSC results. I am sure all your hard work will pay off.

Good luck with your Minn Kota. I dropped mine off at the Sydney Office on a Monday morning, they assured me that it would go to QLD that day............ It arrived in QLD the following Monday! It only had a bit of corrosion on the seal around the prop shaft, 5 min job.

The tech guys in QLD are great though, very friendly and knowledgeable, I managed to go see them on a recent trip.

I have a co-pilot, remote and spare foot pedal if you are interested. Your Minn Kota needs to be 2008- model with the newer round plugs though!

Bloody weather is pi$$ing me off. Sick of the wind and rain already. Although last Saturday was 30+ degrees, but wind picked up BIG time.

Might see you on the water.

Regards,

Rob