If You Like Fine Threads For Rod Building Read This

luderick -angler

i like the idea of rod making. i wonder if any raiders has made their own rod? is it better than the standard brand rods or is it cheaper to make it yourself?

There are some good off the shelf rods these days from reputable tackle stores. Years ago when I was a teenager and into my twenties, I sued to build all my own rods. That way I could have it exactly how I wanted, guides, bindings in the colours I wanted etc. The satisfaction of doing it myself was what I liked most. Sadly, I don't have the time these days.

Baz

I have built my own blackfish rod, its a great satisfaction using something you built from scratch, exactly to the specs you wanted. Depending what you want in a rod it is not always cheaper. I like top quality products, and in the end it cost me just over $400 in parts, not including the time I spent building it. Pretty damn expensive rod but have caught countless ammounts of fish on it and believe it is worth its weight in gold.

If you are a hands on sort of person I highly recommend building your own rod. In saying that these days you can pick up a good quality rod from a tackle shop for the same price, even cheaper (remember they buy all the parts in huge bulk, which saves a lot on the cost) so unless it is something your interested in doing I would just grab one off the shelf. Yes it may not be the exact colour you wanted or the grips might not be to your liking but it will still catch you fish. You could also modify an off the shelf rod to save some time and make it into your dream rod.

Its a sad loss to see guidebrod close, it is the thread I use and in my opinion one of the best threads. its sad to say that the days of custom rods is dying.

Edited by woodch0p