Sydney Harbour

The Poacher

Hi Raiders,

Fished early Friday morning for kings and didn't see a fish, didn't even look like seeing a fish. No a bird working, not a bait taken. Our yacks swam around un-scared. Tried the COlours, main harbour and MH to no avail. Water was warm inside, but dirty. I am sure they are about, and I will persist and get this summer going.

The Poacher.

Same with me today! Downrigged all the markers in the harbour and MH. At one marker we had a heap of rat kings at the back of the boat but they would not take anything. We threw garfish, sluggos and live yakkas at them, they would follow but not strike.

Will keep at it!

I knocked off early yesterday with a workmate and went fishing in the Lane Cover River, the water had some dirt in it but otherwise seemed fairly clean. Spotted plenty of garfish around, which my workmate pointed out was a good indicator of water quality but we started thinking that we could see garfish in the open because there was nothing bigger there to scare them off! They were just cruising around slowly. I had a bream follow my squidgie to the surface once but no hookups, seemed like there were fish around but none of them hungry!

I actually feel better. Its good to hear that other guys struggled too. Its depressing if you think everyone else is nailing 90cm fish from a kayak in their spare time. Hopefully soon Raiders, we will all be getting good fish.

See you out there Raiders.

We also fished MH and main harbour today with live squid and yaks and couldnt get any kings... that's fishing!

Fished the bay today and also did it pretty hard, started just inside the heads and trolled half way to Maroubra and down to Cape Sol for nothing, last week picked up a dozen Bonnies today nothing. Then down rigged all the normal haunts and still nothing. In the end picked up 6 decent bream and got a feed. Thats fishing.

Cheers

Well all that makes me feel a little better, i was out on Sat ~7-8am morn with the new downrigger (Alvey on a StSt rod) and some live yakkas. I was initially hopefull, and when i saw some nice big arches on the sounder while passing some bouys in MH i ws even more hopefull.

Nothing happened though??

I wonder, should i be trolling the live bait thru the arches, or above the arches? May it have been that they were looking for squid, or is it more likely that my yakka wasnt swimmng naturally? Or maybe my arches werent fish?

to the above: there are so many things on a sounder than could represent stuff other than fish cudda been anything. I put a post up on fishing chat bout downrigging depths and got told thats its generally better to have the baits slightly above the fish, definitely better than below them anyways. Hope that helps?

Totally agree that it's a bit comforting to know that it was just the conditions of the day that caused no fish rather than angling errors...

Seems like it was a quiet weekend with very few fishing reports posted. I fished Botany Bay both days with a mix of live yakkas and baits, for no results. Closest I got was on Saturday when I had something grab my yakka, two big tugs on the rod, no hookup and yakka gone. Reading another post somewhere, it was mentioned that the fish go off the bite with a northerly as it blows dust into the water. Any old salts prepared to give an opinion whether it was the northerly, the tides, water temps, moon phase, etc?

I didnt fish the harbour but i was out at botany bay and i experience the same.... Trolled around cape banks for zip! I would imagine i would of got at least 1 bonnie tho i saw heaps of activity on the sounder... Did do some bait fishing and did end up with 2 decent PJ sharks 1 was over 1mtr but thats all she wrote when the wind picked up!

water was very warm almost hiiting 24c on my screen.

Edited by Little Hooker