Middle Harbor Accident

zen801

We were fishing at the spit this arvo and heard on marine rescue that there was a drowning or body in the water near the Spit. We noted a rescue helicopter and police vessel with someone filming at the back. A bit later we moved over to another fishing spot and saw the police again and unfortunately a crash scene. A speedboat had crashed on rocks. Didn't look good. Looks like someone went wrong side of the marker at speed. Also Friday night noted police at Roseville ramp checking peoples speed as they rounded Killarney point. Be safe out there people.

Mike

very tragic news Mike.

Its about time we see the waterways get more visual inspector and police presence.

I was at the ramp on friday night and could not believe the neglegence that I saw infront of me.

Boats were being overloaded by people.

No life jackets worn by adults or kids after sunset (new rule for boats under 4.8 m).

Horrific speed and poor boat lighting to navigate.

Forget the warning period - these people pull out the culture card or play ignorant when infact they know the fishing and water laws but refuse to abide by them.

The cowboys need to be hit hard each and every time they break the laws which are in place for there own safety and the safety of others.

Every time I am on the waterway I encourage the maritime to check out by boat and breath test me, they need to be more vigilant.

Fishing in our waterways goes on 24/7 and the numbers of boaters who choose to fish late afternoon and into the night has ten folded so Marintime need to get out of there head that patrolling our waterways is a 9 to 5 job.

Twin 1

Bad news for the family. According to the reports 1 dead and 1 injured. They were supposedly checking props for the harbour races.

It could have been worse he could have hit another boat. When are the enforces going to crack down on high speed boats doing crazy speeds on our waterways. I'm not talking about 30 or 40mph but the rev heads that go past you doing 70 or 80mph.

We get them all the time up our way and no their not in a race their trying to show off. I've been witness to many crashers over the years, the majority of which are not reported. The only time they get reported is when their is serious injuries.

Regards Jeff

Marcel totally agree with you. They gotta do more to stop the fools. The last few years has really seen a huge increase in harbor activity from trailer boats and big cruisers.

8 can't believe that someone was doing high speed runs yesterday of all days. Wind and very large random waves from numerous boats. The crashed boat in question was not all that big to start with.

Sorry to hear there was a death. From now on I am fishing on the weekdays as from now on it's safer. It was only a few years ago that we were run down by a cruiser at the Spit on a Saturday morning by a guy 70 with a beer in his hand at 11 am.

Take care people.

Mike

Sad news indeed. Deffinitely agree with the comments so far though, its ridiculous the things that people do on our waterways on a regular basis. I night fish the Hacking regularly and EVERY night i am out there we get numerous boats go past with no lights what so ever and often at high speed. Its only a matter of time until there is an accident because of it.

Fishing in our waterways goes on 24/7 and the numbers of boaters who choose to fish late afternoon and into the night has ten folded so Marintime need to get out of there head that patrolling our waterways is a 9 to 5 job.

Let's stop knocking the Maritime people - we were on the water last Thursday @ 5.00am and were checked by Maritime at Abbotsford wharf, so their jobs are definately NOT 9-5. If you take into account that they were there at 5.00am, then that means they would have to be at their base to start work probably about 4.00am. Bet not many Raiders start at that time. These people do a very good job given that they have limited resources, and that my friends is a result of NSW government funding, not Maritime themselves.We saw the same boat all over the harbour that morning checking EVERY boat that was on the water. Must admit though, the petite blonde Maritime officer was quite cute.

Tuffy.

Edited by Tuffy

I have seen maritime out at night in Lake Macquarie so they don't just do 9-5. But i'm sure the water police could be more active in checking boats and making sure they're abiding by the maritime laws.

Sometimes a quick phone call to local police station near where you're fishing will get a response, they can identify the boat/s and follow it up or get water police to check it out, there's usually someone at the station.

I was checked out by the water police at midnight, on a monday, in July this year while fishing peaceful, still waters in Middle Harbour. They did a breath test, inspection of fishing and boating licence and safety gear, all in a friendly manner. We were surely the only 2 boats out on the water that night and we both thought we were nuts for being out there. There is only so much the authorities can do really.

I've been checked at Roseville, water police were there checking every boat that used the ramp. They were friendly and more interested in educating and keeping people safe rather than writing tickets. But if you were doing something dumb I think they would make the effort!!