Hawkesbury Classic

Day's Fishin

Hi Raiders, we started out on Friday afternoon with high expectations of being on the podium again! Launched the boat at Parsley Bay and as the trailer came up the ramp we noticed back wheel wobbling and on inspection found the rear bearing had collapsed.:ranting2: Not to ruin the start we parked the trailer and headed out. Just as we came up onto the plane the siren goes off:ranting2: (I Just had a new impeller put in and annual service, at a cost of $850) After checking that oil was getting up and the water was getting through we started again. Could not go over 12k without a continuous siren, but at 12k it was only a warning every 15minutes of 4 beeps. As we could operate at trolling speed we put the lures out and caught around 20 chopper tailor on the run to Lion Island drifting grounds. Couldn't pick up anything so we anchored on the small reef off the island. Not much was happening until we started to land Red Scorpion Cod. Normally I throw them back but as these were around the 1kg mark we kept 4 to try for breakfast.

Anchored up for the night at a jew spot but had no luck.

Started Saturday with cooking a couple of the cod:thumbup: I wont be throwing any more of them back. With the thought of having to fix the wheel bearing weighing heavily on my mind we tried numerous drifts producing about 12 flathead ranging from 25 to 40cm all of which we put back. Sat. afternoon it was back to the ramp and take the wheel bearing out( great job with a screwdriver and the handle of a ratchet) Up to Huett Marine and luck has turned they have the bearings in stock.:yahoo: After putting the new bearing in we return to the boat and head off for another jew spot for the night. Again no jew only one monster eel that took 2 squid and tangled 4 lines sometime on Sunday morning:ranting2: After cooking breakfast we decided to do the drift from Flint & Steel to Patonga but there was about 30 boats doing the same thing so motored on to Barrenjoey head and drifted back for 1 Port Jackson and 2 Gummy sharks.

The time had come to admit we were not going to have anything too weigh in this year so we pulled out and made our way to the club for the weigh in. There wasn't many big fish weighed in this year the biggest being a 13kg Jew. As usual the day was a success for the day raising a lot of money for the charities. I will post up a pic on fish ID that we caught near L:ion island hopefully someone has seen it in a book or geographic film?

Regards Jeff

Edited by Day's Fishin

Hi Rhys, your mate sure was funny when he won the boat and they said to produce 3 forms of id(with tongue in cheek):biggrin2: and he started to fumble around with his wallet even though they kept saying they were joking. Congratulations to your mate hope the boat brings him a lot of enjoyment.:thumbup:

Regards Jeff

Hi Rhys, your mate sure was funny when he won the boat and they said to produce 3 forms of id(with tongue in cheek):biggrin2: and he started to fumble around with his wallet even though they kept saying they were joking. Congratulations to your mate hope the boat brings him a lot of enjoyment.:thumbup:

Regards Jeff

Yeh . He was over the moon ! Haha .

Could barely speak . But good on him :) & Im sure he will :)

Cheers , Rhys :1fishing1: