Vhf Help Wanted

BFB

I am hoping that someone in the wonderful world of Fishraiders will be able to help me.

I have installed a GME GX600D VHF radio into my boat. I had it out for the first time on Sunday at Botany Bay. When I turned the radio on all I got was bck ground noise. I tried adjusing the squlech but nothing changed. I even turned off all electrics, including radio, sounder, motor, everthing but this made no difference to the radio.

Has anyone had this problem before with this brand of radio or have any idea how I might be able to solve the problem?

In the yard at home, about 50km from the water, the radio works great picking up both Sydney and Port Kembla clearly.

Any help will be very greatly appreciated.

By the way only caught 3 very undersize fish on Sunday.

Hi Deek,

Please expand. I purchased GME aerial and base. How do I go about tuning it in.

Hey BFB,

Generally the antennas are pre-tuned and do not require any adjustments.

Did you check the antenna connection at the back of the radio, was the antenna cable still connected? Have you tried it again at home since taking the boat out?

Cheers

I have checked the antenna connection and it was OK and I have tried it at home and I still have some of the problem but not as bad.

This may be a silly question, but are you sure the antenna you bought was a VHF antenna and not a 27Mhz antenna?

I'm not even sure if the plugs are the same to allow you to connect it to your VHF radio. Just a thought.

Cheers

This may be a silly question, but are you sure the antenna you bought was a VHF antenna and not a 27Mhz antenna?

I'm not even sure if the plugs are the same to allow you to connect it to your VHF radio. Just a thought.

Cheers

to chick this, there should be a colour identifier on the base or the whip.

red= 27 mhz

Green= vhf

your radio could just be faulty, return it to where you bought it from, and maby have them test it, or exchange it for another one. that way you can isolate the problem and see what the cause is