New Boat Under $16K?

Kooks

Ok riddle me this batman,

I'm looking to spend about 16k on a boat/motor/trailer package. I thought it might be a good topic to open up to the forum as there is no right answer.

Specs

• So as I said it needs to fall under the $16k with BMT.

• I do mostly estuary/bay fishing but want to have enough scope to go outside in reasonable conditions

• Hold 4 people and my gear

• My girlfriend must love it

and go....

I was going to send a funny reply saying that you need to put the money in the bank until it grows up to a real boat....! You may also need to work on the girlfriend a bit, cause in my experience if you can get them to even just like it, you are doing real well!

But I saw one on an online auction that would suit.

PM sent

Fryboy

Ok riddle me this batman,

I'm looking to spend about 16k on a boat/motor/trailer package. I thought it might be a good topic to open up to the forum as there is no right answer.

Specs

• So as I said it needs to fall under the $16k with BMT.

• I do mostly estuary/bay fishing but want to have enough scope to go outside in reasonable conditions

• Hold 4 people and my gear

• My girlfriend must love it

and go....

You have opened a can of worms.

When you say outside (how far) I dont want to scare you but how confident are you.

I've been 2km offshore in 12ft tinny & 3m sea's (NO WIND) but it turned to S%#T on the way back. The wind picked up.

Waves were breaking to the boat ramp. Had to ride the wave onto

the beach & Jump out of the boat (wrecked hundreds of dollars of gear).

I personally like the Quintrex Hornet range your style, You need to rememeber the lady's like

protection from the weather & a real fishing boat has very little if any.

this is what i will be upgrading the tinny to once I get around to it.

Alphabet.

As for confidence it's pretty high but it doesn't match my little amount of boat experience.

There in lies the potential for something to go terribly wrong. Great to see that you know the two are VERY different.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

Is this going to be your first boat? If so personally I wouldnt recommend purchasing a brand new one. Perhaps look at something thats cheaper and a bit older so that you can sorta practice with it before you get a new one. For example with me I only recently bought my first boat in the beginning of this year and there is still so much to learn. I spent around 6k on it all together so not too bad for a first boat.

If this is not your first boat then I'd advise you to save a bit more, say around the 20-25k mark. You can get something decent for that price.

Good luck with your purchase anyway

Steve

Edited by steze

Hi, all good advise from the guys and if you are thinking of new than you will get warranty and beign new you are not buying someone elses problems. That said a budget of $16K does not get you much in the way of a 4.5M runabout, unless you look at the cheap brands and old fashion engines. A Stacer 449 Seaway, which is the smallest with the renowned EVO hull for agreat ride and stability, is priced at $19,700 driveaway with a P/T/T carby 40HP. If you are thinking of a tiller steer then yes $16K gets you a larger boat or a better clean tech engine so if you have something in mind then contact me and I can give you the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi, I do not want to start a "mine is better than yours" thing but that is a big call and we were the first to sell Polycraft here in NSW years ago and both materials have their pluses and minuses but in terms of rough water ride a Stacer with the EVO hull is a softer riding hull so is that what you mean by capabale. As with any boat purchase the person doing the buying has to work out what THEY prefer.

Cheers,

Huey.

steze

Is this going to be your first boat?

Yes this will be my first boat - but I do hire boab boats about 6 times a year...if that even counts for much as I'm not really maintaining the boats.

Huey

The Stacer 449 Seaway looks sweet. Ideally I'm looking for a console model as my girl gets confused with the whole reverse tiller steering :wacko:

Does the Stacer come with foam for positive flotation?

billfisher

The Polycraft 4.5 if defiantly on the radar.

steze

Yes this will be my first boat - but I do hire boab boats about 6 times a year...if that even counts for much as I'm not really maintaining the boats.

Huey

The Stacer 449 Seaway looks sweet. Ideally I'm looking for a console model as my girl gets confused with the whole reverse tiller steering :wacko:

Does the Stacer come with foam for positive flotation?

billfisher

The Polycraft 4.5 if defiantly on the radar.

Hi, the Seaways are runabout and as such have a windscreen and forward steering. You should consider the Stacer 449 Northern Fisher-again a great hull with the proven design of the EVO hull but it is bit over your budget of $16K for a BMT package with a carby engine-drive-away.

Yes all Stacers have foam floatation and either meet BASIC or LEVEL floatation.

Have a look at these and if you have an idea of what you want I can give you an idea of the Raider price.

Cheers,

Huey.